free website stats program How to adjust swingarm shocks ona '13 Fatboy? | Harley Davidson Forums

How to adjust swingarm shocks ona '13 Fatboy?

leeanders

Adjusting swingarm shocks on a '13 Fatboy

I have a '13 model Fatboy. Rides like a log truck. Discovered the swingarm double shocks have an adjustment range of from 0 to 5. Owners manual states factory setting is at the highest to allow for two heavy people, I guess.

Anyone out there that can advise how to re-adjust these shocks to a lower setting, perhaps #1, to better accommodate my lighter weight of 150 pounds?

Looks rather complicated?

Thanks

Bought the spanner wrench - loosened the lock nuts and began turning the shock clockwise to the stop. The one on the right as I was looking at them - actually it was the shock on the left side of the swingarm reached the stop, as indicated. At that point, the shock shaft, at the rear of the shock had moved out to an extended position by about 1/2 inch, as I believe it should have. The shock on the left, as I looked at them, actually the one on the right side of the swingarm, continued to turn clockwise without reaching the stop - when I looked at the rear shaft, there didn't appear to have been any movement outward.

I believe I may have a bad shock - anyone else experience this when adjusting these shocks? Thanks

I may be confused but you say you "began turning the shock clockwise to the stop". The shock should remain fixed and the only thing you turn is the adjuster plate.

I may be confused but you say you "began turning the shock clockwise to the stop". The shock should remain fixed and the only thing you turn is the adjuster plate.

Yes, well I was confused as well. Instead of loosening the shock jam nuts, I loosened the end shock mounting nuts. So when turning the spanner wrench, the entire shock turned.

Going out today to buy a 1 1/16 open end wrench to fit the jam nuts, then will try this again.

I guess that's how we learn, trial and error.

Thanks for the input.

No harm no foul. As has been said before just more bonding time with the machine.

Well, found a wrench for the lock nuts, and went back down to loosen them. I could see where there was sufficient threads at the top of the shaft, but I was unable to break the lock nut free - I continued to turn the entire outer shock assembly. Perhaps they are frozen, but this is a new bike and they should not be......I'll try soaking them......and try again tomorrow.

Remembering what you said about the shock should remain stationary, and only the faceplate should turn.......looked at that again and it sure looks as though the faceplate and the shock are manufactured as one piece?

Thanks for the assistance.

Back