free website stats program How long on jiffy stand? | Harley Davidson Forums

How long on jiffy stand?

FLIPBEL

How long can you keep the bike on its jiffy stand while the engine is running? I get concerned that oil is not getting to all the top parts in the jugs.

"not long " like in 5 min. Or more or less? I should have made it clear that i am talking on warm up.

Thanks!!!!!

Yes, oil circulation should be OK b/c the oil pump's doing its job when engine's running. Definitely want to watch the ambient temp of your motor. Doesn't your bike have the EITMS feature (Engine Idle Temp Management System)? If so, make sure its enabled too & this will control some of the heat generation.

With all due respect, I think you need to find something else to worry about! With the engine running, the oil system is under pressure and it's getting to all the required places just fine, even if the bike's tilted 10 degrees or so to the left. As mentioned, the bigger issue is the cooling. If you're just warming up the bike, don't worry about it. If you're running it for an extended period for some type of maintenance procedure, be sure to put a powerful fan directed at the motor.

I am not talking about heat. I am asking about lubrication.

With all due respect, i do worry about it and i will worry about it. By the way thanks for your answer you answered my question and that is all i was asking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not talking about heat. I am asking about lubrication.

Like the Doc said, as long as your lubrication system is in working order, it does not matter if the bike is upright or on the jiffy stand. The system is closed and pressurized, if you have the proper amount of oil and there are no leaks, warming up the bike on the stand is not a problem. Extended periods of time sitting idling is not good for any air cooled engine.

like the doc said, as long as your lubrication system is in working order, it does not matter if the bike is upright or on the jiffy stand. The system is closed and pressurized, if you have the proper amount of oil and there are no leaks, warming up the bike on the stand is not a problem. Extended periods of time sitting idling is not good for any air cooled engine.

thank you for your input. Ride with care!!!!!!

I think that's a very valid question.Engines with camshafts that run directly in the head material-ala Japanese motorcycle engines;have suffered from premature plain bearing failure because of prolonged idling on the sidestand.

The oil drains from high to low and can leave the bearing surface dry.

This is a situation i always try to avoid,and i think you're correct to be concerned.Just sit on it while it warms up and you get dressed,and your mind will be happier.
That's all that matters.

Ya, I don't like letting bikes sit on the stand to long either. I only let my bike warm up for around 30sec-one minute. That is my rule of thumb. I try not to let idle for any length of time if at all possible, Idling slowly destroys engines. They are made to run not sit and idle. I usually only start the bike and run it if I am sitting on it, I don't trust the jiffy stand to handle all the vibration.

Back