free website stats program How Long Do You Trust An Older Battery, Even If It Tests Good? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How Long Do You Trust An Older Battery, Even If It Tests Good?

I don't have much trust in a battery that is more than about 4 years old. The life span of a battery is on average 4 years give or take. I'd rather replace it at 4 years old than get stuck at a bad time on the road.

On a fully charged battery, 100 amps for 10 seconds @ 10.40 volts is weak. Without even trying it, I can tell you it won't pass 50% of its CCA for 15 seconds.
The CCA has to be somewhere around 280, maybe even 300. A number that the Moco supplied, not one we made up. So 150 for 15 seconds @ 9.8 would be just passing. Plus think of the extra labor that is being placed on your stator & regulator...
I would change it.

Well, I've been around here long enough to know that when Glider and Hoople advise you on something, and they both agree, then you better listen! Friday's pay day - I guess I'll be off to the dealer for a new battery! And yes, I'll charge it all the way up myself before installing it.

On an bike that I would ride only locally on I might keep a battery until it was five or six years old if it tested good until then and has been kept on a battery tender. Then it would be replaced regardless of how good it seems.

On a bike that I would take on out of town trips the above would be true up until maybe 4 years. Like some have stated, a battery usually does not give much warning when it is about to go south on you.

I guess I'll be changing mine this spring (going on 5 years). Can you jump start it if it dies on the road? What is the best battery for the Ultra Classic?

I bought a new F 150 crew in 2003 and still have the same battery (9 years) just waiting for it to die. No problems as of now.

I guess I'll be changing mine this spring (going on 5 years). Can you jump start it if it dies on the road? What is the best battery for the Ultra Classic?

I bought a new F 150 crew in 2003 and still have the same battery (9 years) just waiting for it to die. No problems as of now.

Here is a good read on Jump Starting Batteries.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-13026.html

I prefer the HD Batteries as they have done well for me in the past but there are other good ones as well.

Thats pretty good life from a car battery :) The charging system in your F150 is a different beast altogether and is not as prone to problems caused by a weak battery, at least that has been my observation with automobile systems. I don't worry about the auto battery nearly as much as the bike.

Here is a good read on Jump Starting Batteries.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-13026.html

I prefer the HD Batteries as they have done well for me in the past but there are other good ones as well.

Thats pretty good life from a car battery :) The charging system in your F150 is a different beast altogether and is not as prone to problems caused by a weak battery, at least that has been my observation with automobile systems. I don't worry about the auto battery nearly as much as the bike.

Thanks TripleJ

Just replaced my '04 Sportster...it was "just" a little slow cranking, (headlights go almost out, then when starting motor engages and engine started just fine). But as Glider & Hoop hinted 5-7 years is pushing the envelope a bit. :22:

FYI...new battery was a Deka, worked for about a week and then after starting and running for a minute down the road...engine suddenly died and had to push the bike home. Found that the inner steel insert in the positive terminal was not making good contact with the poured lead terminal...(when I saw a bright arc when probing the terminal with meter and headlight coming to life I knew I found the problem). Local battery dealer/sales person just discounted it, as he said it has never happened before so he would not report it, or exchange it. :33:

I ended up putting a 2nd terminal bolt thru the top thread and it has been working fine for almost a month now. Deka is the OEM that makes the Harley "Genuine one" so do make sure that threaded insert has fasteners in all the threaded holes contacting the lead terminals. :s

My battery is original in the bike going on 4 years so this is good reading. I noticed it was slow to crank until I put a trickle charge @ 4 amps per hour for 2 hours, cranked great.
Got a Deltran Jr from Santa so it's been on that since Christmas, guess I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't need replacing soon.

Other posts have you covered on the jump starting issue.

Nine years on a car/truck battery is so long, I'd bet you're living on borrowed time. I've never had one last that long in any of my vehicles. I would take it into an auto parts store or dealership where most will do a load test for free. Dealership will probably try to sell you a new battery based on its age. Auto parts supply stores should be pretty straight shooters.

I don't have much trust in a battery that is more than about 4 years old. The life span of a battery is on average 4 years give or take. I'd rather replace it at 4 years old than get stuck at a bad time on the road.

Glider is correct, it paid it's dues for 4 years. Times up, retire it before it dies.

Fresh power saves the rest of the electrical system.

Bike, Auto, Boat, Tractor, Mower etc.

AL

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Trying to get the last ounce of power out of a battery could get costly. If the battery goes belly up, there's a good possibility that it could damage the stator, the regulator or both.

Not a good choice at all.

Back