free website stats program How heavy? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

How heavy?

Again: Test ride, test ride, test ride. Most Harley dealers allow test rides...

Again, I've seen 5' 2" 120 lb women lift up full tourers...you place back/bum against the seat, reach under and grab some frame or other non-breakable part of the bike, and push up with your legs.

It works.

All the riding skill in the world won't stop your bike from going down if you're inside at work and some life form knocks it over in the parking lot. It's happened to me more than once...that's why I always get hiway bars.

I had 1987 Heritage...didn't like riding solo 'cause I felt I was driving a Cadillac on two wheels. I prefer small sporty cars to luxo barges, hence I prefer the Sportster for solo riding.

I highly recommended a big bike for two up long distance riding, though.

Moe.

Uh-oh "--luxo barges"?!!! Watch out for low flying bagger riders strafing you out there! :D

Last edited:
Just curious...how do you pick up a bike (08 Heritage) if and when the time comes? They, the BRC, never showed us how to pick up a bike once it went down.

This was a good thread for me to read. My story..I'm 59..haven't ridden in almost 20 years. Have an 83 roadster. This past summer, I just decided I wanted what I always wanted..An Ultra Classic...Bought a beautiful condition, 01 Ultra...My first ride and I was heartsick. I was too small at 5'7, 160lb..not a lot of strength anymore. I only put 200 miles on it before the weather in CT changed enough for me to put it away. I think I was just getting used to it ( less so with my wife on the back)...Reading all of your posts gives me the confidence building I need. And, I know it's just going to be a matter of putting miles on it. Only the stops have me worried I will let it tip over. I know I can do it and get to be comfortable..just need some time. Thanks to all for the boost.( Every time I look at it in the garage, it gets bigger :eek:)

Here is a video of a 5'3", 118lb lady picking up a 600lb Beemer.

Pink Ribbon Rides

If she can do it, you can do it.
So where do you keep the little blue pads and how much practice does it take to get them in place before the bike is all the way down
LOL, but really I hope no one has to pick thier bike up off the ground, 700 plus lbs. would be tough. If it happens let it be a very slow speed condition ,like turning to sharp, too slow, up a slight hill, this happend to us. thank god for the crash bars. They help protect the bike and also kept the bike from being completley flat on the ground

lew...this one got me laughing..,a Sporty feels like a mini-bike to ME....I can only imagine how one must feel to YOU! :D
....I always loved Sporties, (road them my whole youth!),and still do! Just feel very light and little after riding the Big Twins for so many years!

No, it was a FXE Super Glide. I was a pretty stout boy back then!

Well, I had my first parking lot tip-over on my "light little Sporty", was crossing high speed bumps, bottomed the suspension, stopped bike high centered and she started to go over...hit the engine kill switch and she went down to about 15 degrees, held up by my right foot peg/crash bar...:small3d015:

Put the bike side stand down, while still in gear, pushed with my butt against the seat, left hand on the right grip, right hand on the sissybar and pushed to vertical, balanced it, pivoted my body so right hand on right grip, left hand on left grip and mounted my steel steed from the "right side" and all was good. :newsmile070:

Yes, you can "right a wrong" and no Richard...the Sporty felt like no mini-bike or dirt bike I have ever ridden...but it's all good. BigLew, the only thing stout about this incident was the cold one afterwards. Oh Hobbit, my pride was saved, it was dark, and no one to witness the deed, but since I am now writing about this here, I feel your pain, I am silly.:bigsmiley22:

I think I may want to stiffen the preload on the rear to #5 position and go "trials-style" over speed bumps, one wheel at a time with a pause to prevent rebound dampening from partially launching the rider from now on. Live and Learn... :s

Last edited:
JMHO, but I never rode a Sporty that didn't benefit from being set to the stiffest rear setting....especially if there's any chance you might be putting your better half on the back.

Yeah, I normally put it on #5, but since I was riding solo I had stepped it down to #4...oh well...:newsmile040:

After riding & roadracing 380 lb Jap sport bikes for 20 years, I was a little intimidated by the weight of my 750 lb Street Glide. Just be careful at first with the low speed / parking lot moves, other than that the weight is no problem at all.

Back