free website stats program How do I get this cover off? | Harley Davidson Forums

How do I get this cover off?

TommyB17

2000 FXDWG, replacing destoyed cam chain tensioner so I'm swapping out everything in the cam box, as well as lifters. I'm removing the lifter boxes but have come up against an obstacle. Anyone know how to get the chrome cover with the bar and shield on it as shown on attached photo, off the bike? It looks like you have to go behind it from the other side of the bike but I can't fit an extension though the jugs to get at it. Any ideas short of a drill? Thanks.

Attachments

• WP_000298.jpg
    WP_000298.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 114
  • WP_000300.jpg
    WP_000300.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 114
Re: How do I get this &%$$ off?

Thanks, Joe. That's what it looked like to me too but I don't have a tool that will fit through there (and I have a lot of tools). I can get a 1/4 inch drive extension through but the socket that holds the allen key won't fit. An allen key would have to be about a foot long to get in there. Haven't seen one of those lately. Guess I'll have to look for one...

I put that same kit on a softail and it comes with a long allen wrench do you know any one esle with the same chrome they may have kept the wrench. I think I still have one if your in SW Florida

Mission accomplished, the T handle did the trick. Eyeballing it appeared much longer than the true length. Many thanks to all for your input.

-Tom

Back