How do I get this cover off?

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by TommyB17, Nov 13, 2012.

1. TommyB17

TommyB17 Member

2000 FXDWG, replacing destoyed cam chain tensioner so I'm swapping out everything in the cam box, as well as lifters. I'm removing the lifter boxes but have come up against an obstacle. Anyone know how to get the chrome cover with the bar and shield on it as shown on attached photo, off the bike? It looks like you have to go behind it from the other side of the bike but I can't fit an extension though the jugs to get at it. Any ideas short of a drill? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

Re: How do I get this &%$$ off?

Look behind it from the other side. You will see a allen bolt in there.

3. TommyB17

TommyB17 Member

Re: How do I get this &%$$ off?

Thanks, Joe. That's what it looked like to me too but I don't have a tool that will fit through there (and I have a lot of tools). I can get a 1/4 inch drive extension through but the socket that holds the allen key won't fit. An allen key would have to be about a foot long to get in there. Haven't seen one of those lately. Guess I'll have to look for one...

4. Rubyred

Rubyred Senior Member

5. RibEye

RibEye Junior Member Contributor

Go to Sears and pick up a set of T-Handle ball allens.

Enjoy,
    Rich P

6. 173ABN

173ABN Active Member

I put that same kit on a softail and it comes with a long allen wrench do you know any one esle with the same chrome they may have kept the wrench. I think I still have one if your in SW Florida

7. TommyB17

TommyB17 Member

Mission accomplished, the T handle did the trick. Eyeballing it appeared much longer than the true length. Many thanks to all for your input.

-Tom