Hot 08 Ultra

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by BossMan, May 24, 2009.

1. BossMan

BossMan Member

Just got back from Branson. The temps were in the low to mid 70s & I thought my engine was going to jump out of the frame at the red light. I reckon it was going into heat management mode. I have Python slip-ons, K & N air cleaner & a Power Commander USB tuner. If its getting hot under those conditions it will not make it thru the summer. Would putting on a set of true duels help pull the heat away from the engine?

2. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

I lost alot of the heat when I switched to Mobile One V-Twin. Also maybe an oil cooler for you? I have Kerker slipons, SE Air Cleaner, and a TFI. Mine is running pretty cool, but it hasn't gotten real hot yet, only about 90 so far.

3. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

true duals will help it shed the heat feels better all ready on mine .. i also use mobile 1 v twin and a oil cooler

4. BossMan

BossMan Member

I just had Syn 3 put in all the holes. I guess I should have gone with Mobil 1.

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

And a gear lube like Spectro Platinum in the trans too.:s

6. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Are you sure you're fuel tuner is set up right? I'm amazed that the EITMS would activate on a nice day in the mid 70's. Like Lancer said, I've ridden in the 80's to 90 degrees and not had it activate.

Switch to a good synthetic motor oil and check the settings on your fuel tuner.

7. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

how much low speed riding was done before the heat managment came on ? i went though couple towns the other day with no problems where i know it would have came on before i did some of the mods i did it was about 80 here

8. The4opps1

The4opps1 Junior Member

In my '99 Ultra, I have a roller chain conversion with Andrews 26N cams, Big Sucker a/c, V&H slip ons, TFI, HD oil cooler, and Mobil 1 and she runs very cool. The oil cooler and the synthetic oil really dropped the temps on my bike. Good luck.

9. rallen3

rallen3 Member

I have a 07 Ultra just got back form Palm Springs, CA Temp over 103 it’s just hot. But when I shout it down and restart it has a vapor lock condition. I have true duels and a K&N filter and I have built a divider switch for the O2 switches that makes the air fuel around 14.3 to 1. there are two power commanders one for off-road and the other for EPA witch one did you install?

10. BossMan

BossMan Member

I have the USBIII installed, did'nt know of there being an on road or off road, so I really can't say. But I did'nt have this problem untill I put on the Python slip-ons instead of the SEs. I compared the 2 maps and there is a fair amount of difference in the 2. I may go back to the Screaming Eagle Map instead. I will be installing a V & H 2 - 1 system later on to see if that will help some. That will remove some of the piping near the back cylinder.