free website stats program Hooking up a GPS | Harley Davidson Forums

Hooking up a GPS

pilotjerry

I'm wondering where is the best place to install a wire to run my gps. There are numerous connections under the seat but not sure which is best

Why go under the seat? I would think that the GPS would be mounted on the bars or faring or somewhere up front. My Road King has an anx. switch that I used to switch mine on or off. The wiring for it was easily to find behind the headlight.

I ran the wires under the tank to the seat. Connected to an empty plug designed for such things. It automatically turns on when the ignition is switched to on or to acc. Got plug fro HD dealer, knew jst what I needed.

PilotJerry, welcome to the HDTimeline forum and your first post. FutureRider's method is the classic method if you want to use the HD OEM Accessory Outlet w/ mating connector...all you have to do is locate the Auxiliary Plug (it looks like the mate, but it has the extra pins to get switched power. As an alternative method, if you have a fairing or are able to cut and splice the headlamp circuit has plenty of reserve current to power light duty accessories. If you want to use that outlet as a Cigar Lighter shell, get a more heavy duty receptacle that has a ceramic insulator for the center button. They do get very hot, as the lighter will draw about 25-30A.:s

Thanks to all for the excellent advice and speedy reply! I think I'm going to love this site plus get some use. I'm heading to HD parts department today to check out the plug.

I run my Zumo off the cig lighter in the batwing. I dont use the plug, I put a spade piggy back on the back and it works just fine. I can turn it on and off if I choose and all is good. If I didn't do it this way, I would have use the accessory plus connections.

Back