free website stats program Home Made Tools | Harley Davidson Forums

Home Made Tools

billyd1

I use my food scale and a little funnel to measure the drivebelt deflection. Sit the funnel (or what ever will work) on the scale and push from the bottom of the scale at the middle of the belt 'till you see 10 lbs. and look at your marks on the belt guard opening. Set to spec and tork her down.:57:

I use my food scale and a little funnel to measure the drivebelt deflection. Sit the funnel (or what ever will work) on the scale and push from the bottom of the scale at the middle of the belt 'till you see 10 lbs. and look at your marks on the belt guard opening. Set to spec and tork her down.:57:

Now that is using your Head. Nice Tip. :s

Way to go! I improvised myself by using a fish weighing scale and it came about o.k. Surely either method is more accurate than just finger pressure and I suspect fairly close to the factory tool.

Way to go! I improvised myself by using a fish weighing scale and it came about o.k. Surely either method is more accurate than just finger pressure and I suspect fairly close to the factory tool.

Bert Man how did you use the fish scale? By pulling up on it rather than pushing up from the bottom of the belt?

I always used the finger pressure to adjust my belt and had no problems until this year. On my trip to the West Coast last month, my belt was squeaking like crazy. Stopped at the Washington Utah HD and the service manager used the finger test and said it looked OK, but would have the tech check it out. As it turned out, the belt was too loose. I don't know if the newer bikes are different, or my finger just doesn't work anymore, but I bought the tool and plan on using it from now on. :57:

I bought the tool also, wasn't that much but found the belt doesn't move much further if I push past the 10 pound mark. I saw a video somewhere on HDT and the tech also said 10 or 20 pounds didn't make much difference in deflection.

Back