free website stats program High Altitude EFI Riding experience | Harley Davidson Forums

High Altitude EFI Riding experience

Hi everybody,

I am right now actively planning my summer vacation trip which is going to take me all across the Rocky Mountains. Several times I will be well above 8,000 feet.

What is your experience, good or bad, of riding in high altitudes with a late model EFI bagger? I have an '09 Street Glide.

I have ridden the Trail Ridge Road, Rocky Mountain NP, in '05 on a carburated Super Glide (11,000 ft + ) and didn't experience any problems what so ever. I am not really concerned about a little loss of power because of the thin air, but just proper rideability to get me where I need to go.

Thanks

Bernhard

Shouldn't have any problems. The fuel injection has sensors that will adjust for the elevation.

You will have no problems. I live just outside Boulder and ride the roads you mentioned many times each year. I have an '02 SE Road King and it never misses a beat. EFI and motors have only improved since '02.

The only problem you will have is keeping your eyes on the road. it's gorgeous where you're headed.

You lucky EFI equipped riders have all the luck...! But for the carbureted folks, if your bike A/F mixture is correct, (lean "best" as mandated by EPA) the good news is you will run richer in the mountains, and to some degree bike will feel a lttle better. But if you are running rich already at "normal elevation" however, your bike may start spitting and coughing from running too rich. So good lesson from Bernard is if you have any question, do a little pre-ride service check before planning a long run is a good thing to keep your vacation plans on track...

When riding around the States in 2007 we rode to the top of MT Evans in Colorado...it is 14240 feet and I can tell you the air was real thin up there but none of the bikes had any problems...only some of the riders that didn't drink enough water...they got headaches.....awesome place

You will have no problems. I live just outside Boulder and ride the roads you mentioned many times each year. I have an '02 SE Road King and it never misses a beat. EFI and motors have only improved since '02.

The only problem you will have is keeping your eyes on the road. it's gorgeous where you're headed.

I envy you about where you live. I have to ride about 750 mi before I get into a real scenery. And it seems I can't get enough of Colorado and the overall Rocky Mountains.

Bernhard

Back