free website stats program HID Conversion Kits | Harley Davidson Forums

HID Conversion Kits

Actually a TRUE HID (D2R Xenarc) capsule w/ hi voltage ballast power supply draws less than a filament bulb. Yes, when a HID capsule first kicks off from stone cold the current draw is substantial for a few seconds. Then the current falls off as the pressure inside the bulb builds. Once the bulb has reached it's HI pressure, the current falls way off usually to less than an Iodine filament bulb. The light energy produced by HID is a function of the capsule pressure and not current draw. I have done conversions on cars and I can tell you from experience it is not just a simple bulb swap. Far from it. A lot of design goes into the lens and enclosure to prevent glare. It can be a nightmare if the original bulb filament was horizontal. Having an enclosure that was used with a longitudinal filament (one that was front to back) does ease the problems but you still have to correct focal point issues.
I know what your saying that this guy is crazy but trust me. I would not do it again unless the enclosure was Designed for a HID capsule. Sure you can just install a bulb in a standard fixture and ride, but from that moment on everyone will be blinking their Hi beams at you. You will also have Hot spots on the ground where the light is concentrated and areas where there will be shadows.

Now, if you are using an enclosure that was designed for a D2R Xenarc Capsule, go for it. You will love the even white light blanket you get. You will not have any current load issues. That is the least of your problems. It is truly wonderful technology.

do they not generate masses more heat as well?
i

O-Ya. A Ton more heat. But amazing, even with the extra heat energy and enormous light energy you get from them, they don't draw any more current.
The light energy comes from the intense pressure in the bulb capsule once it completes it's warm up and not from current draw like an ordinary bulb.

Another draw back is in most cases you loose your high beam function.

Yes, a few draw backs, but the light you get with a proper enclosure is matched by none. A light pattern to die for. Just a far reaching even Blanket of pure white light. Actually the light color is selectable by the metal/gas mix in the capsule. Some guys select the purple/blue but the pure white is the best in my opinion.

If I could find an an enclosure that was made for the D2R and it fit my bike I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Hoop!

It sounds like if I get a HID kit made for Harley with a enclosure as a whole kit I would be ok. I will have to check, I never looked to see if Harley makes one.

do they not generate masses more heat as well?
i remember i MTB lights with ballast and high output HID styling bulbs actually had vented enclosures and would get hot enought to burn skin

Thanks for asking this one Hobbit, I tried to upgrade the bulbs on my 05FLTRI to the next higher intensity bulb (not MTB or HID) and blistered the lens covering the bulbs. Not the lens that covers both bulbs and is affexied to the fairing. It cost $135 to replace.:(

It sounds like if I get a HID kit made for Harley with a enclosure as a whole kit I would be ok. I will have to check, I never looked to see if Harley makes one.

If you find someone who makes/sells True D2R enclosures that fit Harley's I would be willing to be the 1st to purchase one (fully expecting to pay $300 -$400 just for the enclosure) & install it on my bike and discuss the results of the conversion for everyone to learn from. I would love to have a D2R on my own bike. I already have several ballasts, D2R's bulbs, relays and everything needed to do the job. Only thing I am lacking is the properly designed enclosure.

Hoop!

Back