Heritage Soft Bags

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by kzoo, Apr 12, 2011.

1. kzoo

kzoo Banned

Trying to loosen up my bags since the previous owner neglected them. I cannot get them to snap on the top but are close. I am using leather conditioner and it has really brought them back to life. My question is: I am conditioning them a few times a week in hopes of loosening them up. I work it in to the leather, wait 10-15 minutes and wipe off any excess them buff. Is this too much to do - how much conditioning is too much (if that is possible.)

2. JBC2565

JBC2565 Junior Member

I would think the leather will let you know. When it stops soaking in the conditioner and just sits on top, you've got enough. Did the same thing for mine. Brought the color back and made the leather more supple.

3. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

I let the dressing soak in overnight before I buff it out. I thought it would only absorb as much as it needs but maybe I'm wrong.

4. Duane53

Duane53 Active Member

After doing what you have done I have set mine in the hot sun and that seemed to help on being able to strech the leather enough to get them snapped. Now they snap more easily.

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

6. Charlies Harley

Charlies Harley Active Member

Keep putting it on there, a warm place is good and when the saggy bag kit fits with out triming, you are done :newsmile108:

7. Bikergeek

Bikergeek Active Member

I just installed the "Got Saggy Bags" kit. I spoke to the owner and she told me to use a paint brush and brush on the leather conditioner real heavy to really soften the leather and leave it on for days before using the kit. It really worked!

My bags weren't bad but it did make the leather more pliable to work the "Got Saggy Bag" plastic pieces into position. The bags look great.

You will not "hurt" the leather by over conditioning.

BTW, I used Lexol leather conditioner.

8. Duane53

Duane53 Active Member

The saggy bag kit does make a big differance. Iv'e had mine for a year now and I'm glad I spent the money on them.

9. rafreche

rafreche Member

I am with Duane... the saggy bag kit along with support rails did work out for my ride.

Ray