free website stats program Heriatge front springs | Harley Davidson Forums

Heriatge front springs

Greggle

Hello. I have a 2003 heritage that I bought used 9 months ago with 800 miles that was lowered front and rear before I got it. I now have 1500 miles on it and have changed the front fluid because it was banging when I hit big bumps. I weigh 220 lbs. and was told I should go back to the origional suspension because I overload the lowering shocks and springs. I don't like the ride and want to change it back. I have alredy adjusted the rear shocks and the rear is better but the front end still bangs when I hit bumps. Does anyone have any input as to wheather I can just put the origional springs back in with no other problems. Harley says I should redo all the seals and bolts to the tune of $600.00. The springs only cost $64.00. I was going to start with the front springs and see what happens but $64.00 is way better that $600.00. Thanks

With the low miles, I would just swap the springs and go from there. It sounds like they want to make a big tab for you. Of course if you have the $$$ to burn do the whole job :D

When you changed the fluid did you put in the original weight or a heavier oil? The front forks on my 02 FLSTC would bottom out occasionally so I went to the SE "heavy" fork oil and the difference is tremendous. The original oil is about 5 wt, the heavy is 15 wt.

Re: Heritage front springs

I did only replace the fluid with the origional fluid not the heavy duty. Is yours lowered? Thanks for the reply. Hey Glider will I be able to simply slide the new springs in after taking the top plugs out or will I have to readjust the jack bolts? Thanks.

Re: Heritage front springs

No, my 02 is not lowered, it's stock. I changed to the heavier fork oil becuase it would bottom out and I didn't like the way it handled, especially two up. I am a big boy, almost 300lbs. and I felt like the front end traveled too much in the corners and when braking. By replacing the fork oil, it's like I got a different bike. Much more stable in the corners and no "nose dive" when braking. And I have more confidence when I see that
rough patch of road that the front end can handle the shock, which it does now.

There are four types of fork oil from HD, Type E, B, SE Heavy and SE Racing Extra Heavy.
I have recommended the SE Heavy to my buddy who has the same bike as me and he loves it as well. My dealer keeps it behind the counter, you may have to ask for it.

Back