free website stats program Here's a trick to re-aligning chrome header covers | Harley Davidson Forums

Here's a trick to re-aligning chrome header covers

SprChkn

I have asked several questions on this forum, but have not yet contributed anything useful, so here is my attempt to give a little back:

After my dealer fixed the first oil leak on my bike, I noticed the header pipe covers no longer fit together nicely where the two individual header covers mate with the staight exhaust pipe cover on the right side of the bike. I kept loosening the hose clamps and re-positioning the covers so they matched up again, only to find that after heating up, they pulled apart, showing a good 1/8 to 1/4 inch of the recessed portion of the rear cylinder header cover that goes underneath the straight exhaust pipe cover. It would then would stay that way even after the bike cooled. I kept re-positioning the rear header cover and tried everything including doing it while hot, wearing my wife's nomex "ov-glove" she uses for taking hot stuff out of the oven.

What I discovered is this: Leave the individual header covers in place - you will never be able to fight the effect of heat, particularly on the "S" curve rear header cover, no matter how tight you tighten the hose clamps. Instead, wait until the bike is cool, loosen the cover on the straight portion of the exhaust pipe and move it up to it's correct position over the recessed portion of the rear header cover. Then tighten the hose clamps.

Since I did this, it has stayed put exactly where it should be. I know this is no stroke of genius, but it might save someone a few burned finger tips and the half a dozen attempts it took me to figure it out.

Thanks again for everyones help with my questions.

Back