help with ultra

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by 97ultra, Jun 27, 2011.

1. 97ultra

97ultra New Member

i have a 1997 ultra that is giving me troubles. it has around 50k on it, after i let it warm up it wants to rev up to about 3 to 4 grand and stay there. i have been told by an indy that it has no past codes or present codes and it needed a iac motor so put one on and set with the meter.but still running the same . any help would be great. lonnie

2. TripleJ

TripleJ Senior Member

Somtimes a high idle indicates an intake leak/lean condition. Spray some carb cleaner around the carb/intake area and see if the idle changes.

If it is a symptom that has progessed over time that is where I would start. I am assuming no one has messed with the carb adjustments?

3. 97ultra

97ultra New Member

the indy put new seals on also sorry didnt say that

it is a efi. also is getting poor gas milage

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
  4. TripleJ

TripleJ Senior Member

Any mods or a fueler? If yes on the fueler have you tried running without it hooked up?

5. 97ultra

97ultra New Member

no on the mods or fueler. the bike is stock.

6. TripleJ

TripleJ Senior Member

No codes, no mods or fueler, new IAC motor? I don't have any wiring diagrams for your bike so these are just ideas but maybe a bad IAT Sensor or TPS? I am sure others will follow with some other things to check but thats all I got for now.

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

8. wannaride

wannaride Active Member

A bad engine temp sensor can also cause a high idle & poor fuel mileage. But agree check for a vacuum leak first, new doesn't mean it is not leaking. They intake seals are easy to roll as you install them & can seal for some time before they let go. Mine lasted 1500 miles on a cut seal.

Toby