free website stats program HELP!!:Speedometer jumping engine stalling | Harley Davidson Forums

HELP!!:Speedometer jumping engine stalling

sweck808

I have a 2001 UMC "jackhammer" with a 113" S&S, and I am having problems with my bike misfiring and consequently the speedo is jumping around goes to zero pegs and back and forth. I am also having issues with my starter sticking and I took it apart to find it in pretty bad shape. I am planning on replacing the starter to eliminate the starting issue but is it possible that these two things are related??? Please help!!!

Welcome to the forum.
Have you load checked the battery? Remove, clean and tighten BOTH ends of the battery cables.
Is it carb or FI? Tuner?
Any mods leading up to this? Did it just all of sudden start doing it? Give us all the info. and better help can be provided

A faulty battery will surely cause ALL of the problems you have listed here, Bodeen has given you Good advice here:s

I think the jackhammer came with a S&S Super G carb. I'm not sure if the speedo is electronic or picks up from the trans.

Thanks for the quick reply! It has a super "G" carbeurator, I replaced the battery about 2 months ago. For a little history I had some grounding issues several months ago, my lights would go out speedo would jump and bike would miss fire. I first investigated the wiring inside the terminal box and found that my relays were also getting really hot. I went over the entire electrical system with a fine tooth comb and an exposed battery grounding cable as well as a small speedo wire that was grounding against the housing. I fixed both of these issues as well as replaced the relays and the issue with the lighting went away but the speedo and mis firing stayed. I had my bike in storage due to a move from Hawaii to Cali and when I took it out of storage I was having problems with it starting and the battery wasn't taking a charge so I bought a new battery. Now I have two problems again, this time with it starting and when riding th e speedo issue and mis firing. I took apart the starter and the electrical motor part looked to be in pretty bad shape so I am planning on replacing the starter, any ideas on what might be causing the speedo to bounce around and the engine to misfire and stall?

No, it doesn't. But today when I was at the shop getting a new starter I mentioned the problem I was having and someone said they had the same problem. It was his Ignition control module. I read up on this on the net and it sounds like it might be the problem. In the J&P cycles catalog they run around $350 I just paid $500 for a new starter, truly proof that you got to pay to play.

My 01 did kinda like that. hunted a short for several days. finally just removed and cleaned every ground that I could find. no more problems.

You may end up throwing money at it for a long time with out any troubleshooting.......

No, it doesn't. But today when I was at the shop getting a new starter I mentioned the problem I was having and someone said they had the same problem. It was his Ignition control module. I read up on this on the net and it sounds like it might be the problem. In the J&P cycles catalog they run around $350 I just paid $500 for a new starter, truly proof that you got to pay to play.

What ignition do you have? Many have good tech support and some have self diagnostic capacities

Back