Help please with name of relay

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by Paul K, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Paul K

Paul K New Member

Hello,
    regarding the following quote from a different post, does anyone know the name of this relay, and it's purpose?

I am in Ireland, so before I take this relay off, I would like to have a replacement ordered.

Thanks in advance,
    Paul.

"......Hey there everyone. Well the Harley gods must of been with me today. Got the electrical problem fixed. It was a $12.00 relay in front of the back tire. I never thought to check there for a relay. Anyway I want to thank you all for the help. The things I replaced like the wiring harness and the regulator were worth it anyway now I have chrome switches and a chrome regulator so a little more shiny parts. I also even put on a sweet oil cooler which is also chrome and man it works good, I was out riding in 103 degrees today and it purred like a kittn and ran much cooler. Hope everyone is out enjoying the day. Ride safe.

Rev Flash"

2. Paul K

Paul K New Member

Thanks for the quick response.

I am wondering how this apparently fixed the other gents problem.

Basically, I have a very repeatable problem, where after idling to warm up, the bike will cut out after approx 1/2 a mile of driving.

Then I can restart it and drive as normal.

The bike starts no problem. Could this relay (if faulty) cause the bike to cut out?

The post I quoted seemed to have this same proble fixed by relacing the relay in question.

Thanks,
    P.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

From what you mention in your post, I would replace the main breaker on the bike. They get tired with old age like me and will cut out after they warm up a bit. They are inexpensive to replace and an easy job. Just replace it with the same size and wire it the same way to the gold and silver connections.