free website stats program Help I messed up | Harley Davidson Forums

Help I messed up

StuaWolf

Okay I'm quite new to the Harley world. I made a grave mistake and did not winterize my 97 Dyna. And when I tried to start it up it tried to turn over but just won't do it. I'm going too be searching throughout this site on what I need to do. It has been sitting in the garage for about 4-4 months. I'm kicking myself for not talking to someone to see if there was something that should have been done. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

You will get some great advice but provide a little more detail
Was the battery on a tender or just left in the bike
Stored in a heated garage or just sheltered from the weather in ambiant temperature
Guessing no fluid changes no stabil or anything like that correct?

You are correct. Kept in detached not heated garage. No tender on the bike. I'm assuming so far I need oil change and new batter and possibly change out all the fluid and figure out how to clean the carbs as well.

I would strat with a check of the battery, being a 97 it my not be new, do not fast charge the old one if you try to save it, best to get a new one, don't want to be dead at the side of the road

Change all the fluids. Drain out the old gas and drop the float bowl and clean out any junk that may be in there. Check the battery but you are probably looking at a new one. You may want to use a little fogging oil in the cylinders and get the bike up on a lift. Put it in a high gear (4th or 5th) and spin the back wheel. That will allow a little oil on all the inner surfaces. Clean the plugs and give it a spin. See what you got.

When I put mine away for the season I first fill it up with fresh gas. Then I put Stabil in it and run it through the engine by taking it for a ride. I put it on a battery tender and cover it up for the winter in my garage. My garage is not heated and that is marginally better than keeping it outside but NOT as good as keeping it in a warm, heated garage.

Thank you all for the help....I'll replace all the fluids and battery. Hopefully that will take care of everything. I can't wait to get it back out on the road!

Okay I'm quite new to the Harley world. I made a grave mistake and did not winterize my 97 Dyna. And when I tried to start it up it tried to turn over but just won't do it. I'm going too be searching throughout this site on what I need to do. It has been sitting in the garage for about 4-4 months. I'm kicking myself for not talking to someone to see if there was something that should have been done. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
3-4 months isn't that long and isn't good but your fuel or even the fluids might be a bit just a bit stale. Bad fuel will literally turn into varnish gum.. There is a drain plug "brass" on side of your carb. remove it with small straight tip and you should see a bit of black crud come out of the bowl repeat a couple of times..If you run ethanol or 10 percent don't know if you do I hope not drain your tank since alchohol is bad bad anyway on HD's. Run your battery on a trickle charge (slow charge) don't hot shot jump start your bike you will ruin your battery. A trickle will bring the battery back to life and FYI a lot of batteries out there are in the same condition as yours and don't need to be replaced unless 4 years old give or take. Try this and at least get your baby started then to all the rest as needed!

Smitty is spot on. Get the bad gas out, I'll BET you'll need a new battery (a battery tender would prevent this) fill it up, start it up and ride it. Put a tender on it asap and keep the bike plugged in all the time.

Back