free website stats program HELP - engine dying while riding | Harley Davidson Forums

HELP - engine dying while riding

07XL1350RSE4

My bike is a stage 2007 HD Sportster XL1200R Stage 4 Screamin Eagle.
My bike has died 4 random times, but all 4 times it has done it I have been coasting to a stop or coasting to slow down without stopping with clutch pulled in and the transmission still in first gear. Brake being applied doesn't seem to matter. Although the last two times it has done it, I have just applied the brake and the bike lurched forward a bit, not a lot, but enough for a loose wiring connection to break if that's possibly what it is. I also notice a pinging sound when it dies that seems to originate from the left side of engine. It starts right back up too. I have also noticed the headlight dimming sometimes. The only thing I have done to it this winter is change the fuel tank to 4.5 gal and the seat to a Sundowner Deep seat. The battery died, I bought a HD trickle charger to charge it up. I did NOT jump it.

I have checked all of the battery connections. The bike already had an adapter plug for charger installed. So I did not have to disconnect battery to install anything. I have taken out spark plugs, cleaned them, reset the gaps, and re-installed. Changed the oil. Checked transmission fluid. Did an overall check of any wiring I may have damaged or disconnected with fuel tank change. Didn't find anything obvious. I did find oil in my breather filter. But a search on net found that that is apparently a common thing.

I'M AT A LOSS!!!!!

PLEASE HELP?!!?!?!?!?!!? I am going to have to park it until I figure this out. It is unsafe.

Thank you VERY VERY VERY MUCH in advance for taking the time to answer my problem

Hi 07XL1350RSE4,

Welcome to the forum--don't forget to introduce yourself in the New Members Introductions section. I bet you will find a lot of great advise and very helpful people here.

Do you have a manual? I would consider looking at a few things--the main circuit breaker and starter relay, particularly. When the bike has been running, touch the wires going into and out of the circuit breaker/relay--if any of the wires are hot, you have located the source of the problem--it may be either the breaker, relay or even a wire.

I'm sure much more experienced forum members will chime in soon, but at least this is something to try.

Good luck!!
CatWoman :rider

Was bike operating fine before tank change???
If bike stalls does it start right back up? Any check engine lights? Why not pull battery and have it bench tested..:s

It starts right back up too.

To restart the bike, do you cycle the ignition key (Off /On) or do you just push the starter button in order to start it back up. See if you can restart the bike without re-cycle of the ignition key or a flip of the kill switch (off to on). Also perform a WOW test (attachment) to see if you have logged any DTC codes. Original 2007 battery?

Attachments

• XL_Wow.pdf
    23 KB · Views: 32
Hoop your PDF is not showing anything (at least on my Adobe reader it ain't). You might try printing it again and check your printer settings, make sure you have the correct paper size etc.

bike was operating fine. bike does start right back up without touching the key. No check engine lights

================================================

I am also having an issue with random high idle speed. The throttle is NOT sticking. This issue has only started since this winter as well. I did remove the air cleaner and empty 1 1/2 cans of carb cleaner into the thing. Cleaned out all the holes. Had a definite problem with oil mist in carb.

I THINK MY TWO ISSUES ARE WORKING TOGETHER.

The only other thing I have done to it besides change fuel tank is put LED turn signal bulbs in. I was told that I did not need the load equalizer, but that was wrong. The bike acted really weird. It would even start to blare the alarm when I simply put key in ignition. So needless to say, I took those out. I was hoping that it was dying because I had messed with the security system, but I don't think that is what is causing it now.

I also have NO INFO on bike's true previous condition before I bought it. I got it used from the HD dealer. Only had it since last June.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoop your PDF is not showing anything

Tks, lets try it again.

XL071350, the code(s) may be historical so you won't see a check engine light while riding.
What fuel enrichment method are you using. (power commander, SEST etc)

Attachments

• XL_wow.pdf
    22.5 KB · Views: 15
I have no idea what enrichment method I am using. What does that entail, maybe I can piece together an answer for you from what I do know about the bike?

Died again tonight. This time I was turning a corner and as soon as I leaned the bike it died.

I will run the "wow" check TONIGHT.

The check engine light has never came on. Not even a flash when it dies.

Thank you EVERYONE for your help!! I am going to try all the suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back