free website stats program Help code p1511 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help code p1511

Timman

I have a 09 Road King and have 40K (25000 miles) on it, stage one air box, with true duels and V&H monster ovals, and a TFI unit. For the first time in 5 years it happened, I had a breakdown. I was just leaving town heading out the highway and switched the cruise on, as I got to my speed I touched the set speed button and the engine light came on at it dropped to idle RPM's. The throttle was useless, not knowing what to do I limped home at idle speed, 10 miles, when I go home I took the air filter off and jiggled the wiring on the throttle body, then started it up and it worked, all was well. I checked the codes and I only had P1511 in history, no others, so I cleared it and drove around close to home all day and it never came back. Now I am worried about going on a long distance trip, we are planning to head south for the long weekend, is there any advice on what to do?

Unplug the TCA clean the plug, both parts and use dielectric grease on the connectors and plug her back up. You should be good to go.

Thanks Tank, I have the 2009 Harley-Davidson Touring Models Electrical Diagnostic Manual, and It does say a P1511 always has a second DTC, but there was none. I checked 3 times before clearing the P1511 code, "strange". I took it out again tonight and put it through the passes and it worked great all night. I was thinking the day before this happen I did take it to a high pressure spray wash booth to clean it off, I almost never do this but I was in a hurry, maybe mosture caused it. I have been reading around this site and I think there might be a problem with the connector, so I think I'll try what RedFish Joe said to do and hope it doesn't happen again. Also no more high pressure spray washes.

Hey,thanks for the info guys! This happened to me twice this evening on my 09EG. Sat along side the road for a few minutes and slowly turned the ign. switch on and off a few times and it would take off again. Stopped at a friend's house for maybe a half hour, then rode the 25mi home with no problems. Checked the codes and came up with...P1511, P2101 and P2135. I did pull the TCA plug last winter and put dielectric grease on the connections. Now I think I'll try Nyogel that Hoople mentioned...anyone know where to find it? auto parts? hardware? Got a run to go on tomorrow!

anyone know where to find it? auto parts? hardware?

You can try it but the connector pins may be worn by now, especially if they are gold flashed. Dielectric grease is for sealing from water and gives weather protection. Nyogel is for metal to metal connector micro-motion wear. If the problem returns, you can always replace just the harness side pins. That will buy you alot of time.

Dealership part number 99861-02 use to get you the Nyotgel 760G but I don't see it listed anymore. Not sure what the deal is on that.
NyoGel 760G 10 gm tube

Thanks Hoople, looks like I'll be replacing the pins. I have a run to go on today,will see how it acts. Going to check with dealer for pins...planning on about a 800mi ride next weekend need to have it dependable by then.

i've been doing the "1511-2135 error code head scratch" for about a week.
AND i'm hoping i found "the issue", behind the air cleaner assembly, there is a connector ( i assume throttle-control-actuator ) appears seated, but wasn't & the lock tab didn't lock it into place, so i cleaned/dielectric greased, & placed a piece of a foam earplug under the tab to MAKE it lock...... for now no limp-mode or error codes, maybe this may help someone

after reading numerous threads on this issue (and a few others)

i know i'll burn in hell for this, but is a goldwing sounding good to anyone besides me?

after reading numerous threads on this issue (and a few others)

i know i'll burn in hell for this, but is a goldwing sounding good to anyone besides me?

They aren't bulletproof either, and they aren't anywhere near as easy to work on.

Back