free website stats program help.883 sporster noise valve train | Harley Davidson Forums

help.883 sporster noise valve train

I just got a 2001 xl sporster and notice that it make noise like if oil pressure was low but the oil light works fine. I open the valve cover and check the rocker and push rods and they look o.k. also removed the cam and I do not know if they are stock or after market I need help this are the numbers on the cams.
front cylinder; ex. 15-1 24856 in. 15-3 24857
rear cylinder; ex. 15-1 24856 in. 15-2 24861

I read that if you replace the cam alot times the top end noise is more noticeable. is it true.

I just got a 2001 xl sporster and notice that it make noise like if oil pressure was low but the oil light works fine. I open the valve cover and check the rocker and push rods and they look o.k. also removed the cam and I do not know if they are stock or after market I need help this are the numbers on the cams.
front cylinder; ex. 15-1 24856 in. 15-3 24857
rear cylinder; ex. 15-1 24856 in. 15-2 24861

I read that if you replace the cam alot times the top end noise is more noticeable. is it true.

That can happen, do you have adjustable push rods? May want to verify the oil pressure with a known good gauge and check or replace the lifters JMO

I previously had a lot of top end noise from my 93 sportster the 94 was much quieter
a new set of lifters made it quiet again

Brian

Hello,

Have 2006 Sportster XL 1200 Custom. Also found the top end to be quite noisy. Took it to a reputable (non dealer) mechanic and he said it was fine.

I think at times there is a tendency to "look" for noises.

Am now wearing a full face helmet and no longer notice the noise.

Back