free website stats program Help: 08 FXDC won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

Help: 08 FXDC won't start

I have an 08 fxdc, with 30,000 miles. Last night It wouldn't start. It was cranking real good but not turning over. Checked the fuel pump fuse, which was ok. Read about turning the ignition on and off 3 times. Tried this and it started up immediately. There are no codes shown or stored. Any idea what turning the ignition on and off 3 times does? Would hate to get someplace and be stranded because it wouldn't start. Thanks for any suggestions.

Cycling the ignition on/off to start makes me think the bank angle sensor was activated. Was the bike tipped over, any work being done in the Turn Signal Security Module area?

The bike was not tipped over or worked on. I rode it, parked it, and the next day it wouldn't start until it turned it on and off 3 times.

Read about turning the ignition on and off 3 times.

I do recall something along those lines but it was for a problem w/ throttle by wire bikes. Isn't yours cable pull? I would like to read it if you remember where you saw it.
Never heard of any "fix" like that for cable pull throttles.

Just a wild guess, but the IAC may be sticking in the "park" position. Since there is no IAC step position feedback sent to the ECM, if it happens to stick in it's park position, the engine is not going to start and no codes will be logged.

Rebooting the ECM (key Off then ON) a few times could unstick the IAC because that's the time it's told to un-park and go to the start step position. Once the engine warms up, IAC goo will soften up and all will be fine. But let it sit overnight and cool,,then it may stick again on startup.

Since the IAC only supplies the needed air, the next time it happens, just twist the grip WHILE cranking to give the engine the needed air the IAC is not giving it. If it then starts, a sticky IAC may be the problem.

Worth a shot.

I second this suggestion. The other day my bike was having problems maintaining idle when I came to a stop. Idle would drop off like it was gonna stall. Went to O'Reillys and bought a couple of cans of carb cleaner spray. Popped the air cleaner off and used up a can washing the tarry stuff and goo out of the IAC port. Problem fixed. Probably worth doing that as a PM annually rather then waiting until problems start. Use something to protect the rest of the engine and tranny from the wash so it doesn't get all over the rest of the bike.

TQ

Thanks for the replies. My bike has been starting and running perfectly for the last 2 days. Still don't know what happened, but it appears to be corrected.
Thanks again.

Back