free website stats program Heavy on the Throttle | Harley Davidson Forums

Heavy on the Throttle

BikeSAG

Sunday it was in the 60's here in Oklahoma City so the wife and I went for a ride with the plan to stop by a local leather shop tom get her some new chaps. On the way there a cager seemed to be playing with me in the left lane (speed limit 45) after a couple miles I got tired of it and took off from an intersection when the light turned green, wife on the back, looked down when I shifted into 4th to see I was doing 70 (it's all good) and when we approached the next intersection as I pulled in the clutch the engine died, would not idle. Of course I let the clutch out to restart the engine as kept the throttle open to keep it idling at the red light. After ariving at the leather shop (a couple miles down the road) it was idling again. Long story but was this the computer catching up to itself? We rode another couple hours (that was like heaven) and everything seems ok. What do you think happened?:swoon

When all is going well, does the idle speed 'hunt' at all. Can you hold the idle speed at say 2500-3000 in neutral, let off quickly and will it go back to idle speed without going below it's normal idle speed. Also, can you check historical codes for that year?

Yes, everything seems perfectly normal now. I wonder if I hit the rev limiter without knowing it that might have caused this. It does not "hunt". Starts and idles normally now.

when you hit the rev limiter it cuts out at top end soon as its under the limiter it fires backup

Assuming you have no intake manifold leaks, from where I am sitting, my 1st 'shot in the dark' guess would be a sticky IAC motor. I was surprised how inexpensive ($48) IAC motors were for what they are.. You can try cleaning it but for what they cost, I probably would replace it.

Just a shot gun guess. Others may jump in with better ideas.

Back