free website stats program Heat Management questions | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat Management questions

When my engine gets to the temperature that the active heat management system kicks in, sometimes it dies when I try to pull away from a stop light (after the heat management has kicked in).

Lately when it dies, smoke comes out the air filter. Any clues what is going on here? I can't get it into the dealer until Aug 1st.

I had the same issue. It started on my '09 FLHR while doing a verrrrry long ride in the rain and continued for some time afterward. Eventually it just went away. So, I don't have a diagnosis for you.

One thing that helps when activating the EITMS is giving the throttle a quick blip to reengage the rear cylinder prior to pulling away from a stop. That seemed to work while I was experiencing the issue.

Out of curiousity, is the smoke coming out of the filter sort of brownish in color?? Mine was.

Try giving the throttle a little "blip" right before you anticipate the light turning green so the rear cylinder comes back to life and you're actually pulling away from the stop on both cylinders.

The smoke from the air filter is just incomplete combustion when the engine stalled, it probably kicked back out the open intake valve.

you deff have to blip the throttle or it trys to stall i learned this first time mine kicked in

I have been bliping the throttle for Years, I was under the empression that's how you clear it form all the extra gas at Idle. and to upset the honda guy behind you

Back