free website stats program Heat Management Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat Management Issues

I have an '09 Ultra that was having some heat issues. I added an oil cooler, switched to Amsoil, added a Stage 1 air filter, and a Power Commander. The dealer that installed the Power Commander (and tuned it) also activated the Heat Management feature (where one cylinder quits firing when at idle and hot engine).

1000 or so miles later, now it wants to stall when I roll on from a stop after the heat management has kicked in. Today it also belched out some dark smoke from the air filter once when rolling on from a stop after the heat management had kicked in.

Any clues what is going on?

i also have a 09 its over 100 here daily, and i ride about 75 miles daily to work. my goes into heat mgt at stop and go trafic. but i have never had the problems you talk about

take it to the dealer

You can enable or disable the heat management yourself. Simply roll the throttle forward for 2-3 seconds until you see light on tach turn "green" for on or "red" for off.
I would suspect its unspent fuel that caused your puff of black smoke. It's happened to me as well, during the break-in period. It would be a good idea to check your plugs, especially the rear plug and see if it is darker than the front, I suspect it will be. My rear plug was running rich. Do you get decel pop? If you are having problems with the bike wanting to stall I would suspect it's a fuel tuning issue. Did you change pipes when you changed air cleaner? Is your bike running unusually hot when this happens? If it's too hot your bike is running lean.
When I did my stage I air cleaner I replaced my pipes and had a canned map flashed onto my ecm to compensate for lean fuel mixture. the bikes already run lean but by changing to high flow air cleaner and free flowing pipes, you need more fuel. The maps are close but not perfect. Even after they installed canned map I had decel pop issues, and the puff of black smoke as you did. I don't know how many miles you now have but I suspect it's still not broke-in all the way yet. My bike ran better after 2000 miles than the first 1000 and even better now at 4000 than 2000. I had a SERT installed when I did my 103 kit and cams. What a difference a good tune can do. If it happens alot I would have it checked. I no longer have pops or puffs of smoke after proper tune and little bit of mileage on the bike.

I have right at 9000 miles. I didn't swap out pipes as I like the muted sound of the stockers. I didn't use a stock map - I had my bike dyno tuned (I have a Power Commander for fuel management).

I went ahead and made an appointment with the dealer - this seems very wrong to me. I agree reading the plugs might help - but no matter what they say I will end up back at the dealer. The bike was lean (as in stock lean) before I did the stage 1 + fuel management. It was dyno tuned with the stock pipes - so I don't think it is my running fuel mix (but might be related to idle fuel mixture).

I have an 09 Ultra. I have a TFI fuel management, Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner and run Mobil One V Twin full synthetic. 4K on bike. I have never had my bike shut down due to heat and I have never even activated my heat management system. Hottest I rode in is 95 degrees. Put on 90 miles tonight and was nearly 90 when I left. No issues. It does run hot, but no where near as it did before my mods. I ride with a bud that has an 09 CVO and he has lots of heat trouble. Still has the cats in his headers though.:s

So much for the new exhaust routing on the 09's solving the heat issue. Sounds like plenty of you are still spending hundreds of dollars on add ons to cool them down.

So much for the new exhaust routing on the 09's solving the heat issue. Sounds like plenty of you are still spending hundreds of dollars on add ons to cool them down.

IMHO they did a fair job solving the heat issue. No heat problems at all for the passenger, for me as a rider on hot days get some heat on my right lower leg. Move my foot outboard on the floorboard and it's livable. Hey, it's a big air cooled engine. All bikes have some less than stellar qualities, I can live with this one.

"Heat Management Issues":

There is not anything that can be done to reduce the internal combustion ambient air cooled gasoline engine heat radiation.

Combustion temperature averages between 400* & 580*
Head temperature averages 285* & 330*
Exhaust pipes are much hotter, depending on timing

Ride 'em as is or play and pay.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

As Eleft36 says, those figures are a given...but heat management issue is just that. If heat is an issue, there are ways to manage it...

1) Try to reroute rising heat at stops away from rider and passenger compartment (there are some air deflectors available, HD makes them fairly inexpensive or you can get the nice leather look ones for more),

2) Try to have engine run cooler by changes such as lower friction/better lubes, opt for Stage I mods, add oil cooler to cool engine and manage frontal area air flow with fan (or perhaps some cowling or foward air deflectors as well).

3) Extend or add heat shields/deflectors i.e. under the passenger/rider pegs or use floorboards or move them more outboard but slightly higher to catch airflow further from the pipes or engine fins.

Last edited:
As Eleft36 says, those figures are a given...but heat management issue is just that. If heat is an issue, there are ways to manage it...

1) Try to reroute rising heat at stops away from rider and passenger compartment (there are some air deflectors available, HD makes them fairly inexpensive or you can get the nice leather look ones for more),

2) Try to have engine run cooler by changes such as lower friction/better lubes, opt for Stage I mods, add oil cooler to cool engine and manage frontal area air flow with fan (or perhaps some cowling or foward air deflectors as well).

Divert heat, possibly but not avoid it's source and run efficiently, that's the way it performs. BTU = power, that's why it burns fuel, to create energy to force the piston down. As the saying goes "love it or leave it"

Air cooled have been around longer than you and I, if you're close it's hot.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Back