free website stats program headlight low beam terminal melting plug | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

headlight low beam terminal melting plug

I got this problem. The low beam terminal of the headlight plug is heating up and melting the plastic of the terminal plug.

The plug on my RK began to melt and would continually short out the bulb. Once it starts melting it likely won't hold good contact with the bulb. I finally replaced the plastic plug with a ceramic plug. Bulb fits nice and snug and no worries about the ceramic melting.

I have seen the wire crystallize and break at the crimp for that terminal even when the terminal had a good grip on the lug. Wouldn't hurt to check the back side of the plug for that.

The connectors ( all 3 ) inside the plug that attach to the Lamp must be a. clean, b. both mechanically and electrically tight. Oil and sweat from your fingers can cause problems with an electrical connection by creating an increase in the resistance of the connection. The plug being dry and or corroded can be difficult to remove from the lamp. It would be normal to wiggle the plug when trying to unplug it in. This can distort and weaken the connectors in the plug also. Any increase in resistance will cause an increase of heat which will weaken the spring tension of the connectors which will cause more heat. As it gets hotter the plastic begins to melt the problem just gets worse. A thin coating of good dielectric grease on the (clean ) lamp terminals can reduce the possibility of contamination and corrosion and make it easier to remove the plug from the lamp as well as reinstalling it. This will help reduce any distortion or weakening of the connectors in the plug which will keep the resistance of each connection low. The more you ride and the longer you ride the more important this becomes.

Agree with all the prior posts concerning the fact that the female connectors in the headlight socket must be REALLY tight, almost to the point of being difficult to slide on, and it is best to slather on the dielectric grease on ANY electrical connector prior to mating them. If you need to REPLACE the connector, the replacement plug can be purchased from your local HD dealer. Cut the old plug wires off close to the plug. Strip back about ½" of insulation. Twist the exposed wires and tin them using quality silver solder. Do the same for the wires on the replacement plug. Slide a piece of shrink tubing over each of the wires and then solder the connections (keep the colors the same). Slide the shrink tubing over the solder connection and heat the shrink tubing to the wire/connection. Apply dielectric grease to the female connectors on the socket and plug the socket onto the back of headlight bulb. Done!

Has anyone successfully used a higher wattage bulb other than the 50/60w? Maybe the 90/100w H4 or a Sylvania OSRAM type? If so, did you have any issues with it?

Warning: DO NOT put your fingers on the glass portion of the bulb. If you accidentally touch the glass portion of the bulb, wipe it thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel to remove any oil from your fingers.

Has anyone successfully used a higher wattage bulb other than the 50/60w? Maybe the 90/100w H4 or a Sylvania OSRAM type? If so, did you have any issues with it?

Warning: DO NOT put your fingers on the glass portion of the bulb. If you accidentally touch the glass portion of the bulb, wipe it thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel to remove any oil from your fingers.

I ran a 90/100w H4 in my '07 Ultra for 8-10k before switching to the Kuryakyn Phase 7 LED. I had no issues with the plug, but I liberally applied dielectric grease to the clean terminals at installation....and for what it is worth, the LED headlight is one of the best Father's Day gifts I have ever received. The difference it makes is unbelievable. I would never have spent the money for one, but I will never go without one now. Darn kids anyhow!

I ran a 90/100w H4 in my '07 Ultra for 8-10k before switching to the Kuryakyn Phase 7 LED. I had no issues with the plug, but I liberally applied dielectric grease to the clean terminals at installation....and for what it is worth, the LED headlight is one of the best Father's Day gifts I have ever received. The difference it makes is unbelievable. I would never have spent the money for one, but I will never go without one now. Darn kids anyhow!

I misspoke previously. I used an 80/100w H4 bulb.

I've tried the 80/100 Sylvania in the link below. My only problem with it has been life span. I never could get more than a year out of one. Connection good. I guess vibration is the culprit here.

GermanAutoParts.com

I got her fixed. Haven't had any flickering or smell of the plastic melting so I'm good to go. As far as the 90/100 bulbes go they don't have much of a life expectancy even in a car, they just burn so hot that the life span is reduced in some instances quite a bit. I hate those LED set ups, they are blinding even in the daylight. At night they even get me from behind. It's going to take some getting used to just like when they introduced halogens.:hii

So...I'm assuming that you just plugged them into the existing headlight socket and didn't bother wiring in any relays or power direct from the battery?

Back