free website stats program Head bolts & washers 1984 1340 | Harley Davidson Forums

Head bolts & washers 1984 1340

VonZipper

OK I just ran into a problem and can not determine the answer from the service manual I have so here goes.

I am getting ready to put the jugs and heads back on and discovered while reading the manual a discrepeancy with some parts.

There are four cap bolts (hollow center) that go over the four bolts out of the case.

in the manual it looks like these should have washers ... when I took this apart it did not have any washers under these bolts.

The question is how to determine what are the correct bolts and washers for this engine. The manual advises that "late style cylinder head washers CANNOT be used on early style cylinder head bolts"

The guy I purchased the bike from said that becuase of the bore and higher compression rate, stronger head bolts were required so they were replaced. They in fact do look new (black bolts and look new)

So the question is how do I determine the difference between early and late style bolts and washers? The engine is an "early" 1984 but since the bolts were replaced...

how do I tell .... the manuals and searches have accomplished nothing..

Help !
VZ

That is a head scratch er for sure, 84 and newer Evos did not use washers that I remember. However if these are aftermarket like say S+S they may need the washers to spread the torque and may be needed for running changes for the many head gasket changes the MOCO made to address these issues JMO

Harley made many changes to head bolts, washers and studs in Evo engines. I think I filed most of the tech articles from magazines away. I will try and dig them out for you (they are in the attic, ick!). I have some stuff to do in the morning, but will try and get to it later in the day.

I looked through my old tech. articles and didn't find any about head bolts. Just now looked at my '92 service manual, and it says "1991 and 1992 head bolts are not interchangeable". My '92 cap bolts have flanges that act like a washer. Manual states to coat threads and contact surfaces with oil. If it was mine, I'd reassemble it like it was.

I looked through my old tech. articles and didn't find any about head bolts. Just now looked at my '92 service manual, and it says "1991 and 1992 head bolts are not interchangeable". My '92 cap bolts have flanges that act like a washer. Manual states to coat threads and contact surfaces with oil. If it was mine, I'd reassemble it like it was.
Except that the engine blew both head gaskets in 900 miles....

Due to the materials used and the design of the evo engine things are not fully tight until the engine has heated up and all the materials have expanded fully so easy riding for the first few miles will save a lot of time and effort in replacing head and base gaskets

Brian

All,
OK, I finally got hold of a certified harley mech with access to factory specs. The head bolts were replaced at the rebuild and installed correctly according to the height of the bolts sticking up from the cases. The second thing is the original bolts that go through the heads were also replaced with the shoulder bolts (which I have) which do not require a washer. So here I go, got the correct info and now will just follow the rest of the instructions for the installation and torque and I should be good.
It shows the importance of either access to factory specs and or detailed records of the rebuilds!
Thanks for the efforts and input from all.
Now I just have to do some detail work (polish and details) and should be running in about a week or so. I am a working stiff and only get a couple of hours a day to work on it. Besides it is still terrible weather here in the Puget Sound area (hard to get motivated when it 40 and raining) But Thanks all, and I will post some pics and info when running.

Von Zipper!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back