free website stats program HD 5-speed shifting woes | Harley Davidson Forums

HD 5-speed shifting woes

MyColeSewVase

I have a 2002 FXDWG with about 72k miles on the original TC88/5speed drivetrain. I have experienced a shifting problem that seems to be getting progressively worse. :(

When making the 1-2 shift, I either have to kick (literally) the shifter peg up 6 or more times, or reach down and make the shift with my left hand. By the time I get that done, the speed built in 1st gear has diminished to the point to where I sometimes have to release the clutch and gain 1st-gear speed again. This presents a somewhat unsafe riding conditon. It has gotten to the point that I usually do not shift to 1st and begin dead-stop acceleration in 2nd gear. I realize this can't be good for the clutch. After removing the shift drum and forks, the visual inspection and checks recommended in the shop manual remain inconclusive. I was expecting evidence of a bent 1-2 shift fork. Perhaps ther is another way to determine the true condition of the shift forks. ANY THOUGHTS??

I don't relish the thought of making a parts swap and having the problem persist.:newsmile093:

If you checked the forks with a square and they checked good, then they are good, you checked them for wear also? How's the linkage? How's it shift on the lift? Have you found any wear items?
Check to see if fork is square on the Check to see if fork is square on the shaft using a small carpenter’s square. If fork does not rest directly on the square, it is bent and must be replaced. Inspect the forks for wear. Replace forks worn thinner than 0.165 in. (4.19 mm) at mating surfaces shaft using a small carpenter’s square. If fork does not
rest directly on the square, it is bent and must be replaced. Inspect the forks for wear. Replace forks worn thinner than 0.165 in. (4.19 mm) at mating surfaces

Back