free website stats program HD 1200 Low Gas Milage | Harley Davidson Forums

HD 1200 Low Gas Milage

karl55

Hi All,,, I have a new HD 2008 105th Ann... 1200 Low and checked the gas milage the for the past 300 miles and my average was around 35.5 miles per gallon. Does that seem low? Do you guys think something might be wrong with my motor any suggestions? Thanks

This is from your spec. 57hwy/42city
But,here is the disclaimer

Estimated from fuel economy tests on a sample motorcycle from the corresponding family conducted by Harley-Davidson under ideal laboratory conditions. Not all motorcycle models undergo fuel economy testing. Fuel economy and mileage may vary among motorcycle models within a family. Your mileage may vary depending on your personal riding habits, weather conditions, trip length, vehicle condition and vehicle configuration and other conditions. Break-in mileage may vary.

The mileage does get better after a full break-in

Wow! Steveo7, I mostly ride in the city and expected a low gas milage rating but 35 just seems to low. I just hope that after break-in the gas milage will improve. I will be taking the HD for it's 1000 mile checkup before the end of the month something I really think the bike needs... I wish my bike would get 42 miles to a gallon that would make my day...Thanks for the quick response.....

Bet HD tests them with non ethanol gas. You can expect 5mpg loss with ethanol. or about 5-10%,

also how do you ride. Fast accereration and making nose with pipes will kill mpg.

To verify if bike is ok Recomment filling and take it on a highway trip. Keep speed constant at lets say 60mph then ck it. You are going to need to go min 60 miles , 120 better. With ethanol at this speed and on fairly flat ground you should get about 55 mpg. Before Ethanol I got 60 mpg at this speed on flat ground and warm summer day in FL.

I've got an 05 XL1200C and I get at least 45mpg. Your results do seem a little low. Try what has already been suggested, take it out on the interstate and run it for a while.

Hi Guys,

I do ride around town ,mostly very little highway I hit 5th gear only 3 times since I've had the motorcycle. The speed limit around town is 25 mph so my average is about 35 mph...I am mostly in 2nd or 3rd gear...What I should have is a scooter with and auto trans for slow riding, but I really like the Harley's weight feels stable on the road than a light scooter... I am also using 91 oct... gas so that should not be the problem... I will take the motorcycle for a long ride and get it up around 55 - 65 mph and then check the gas milage...This Monday will be the big ride...Thanks guys!!!!

I have an 07 Nighster and I have never exceeded 45 MPG. With 5200 miles it should be broken in. My problem is my right hand...

Seriously, after it is broken in, and you do some highway miles, I'm sure you will see it increase.

Jake

Hi Guys,

I do ride around town ,mostly very little highway I hit 5th gear only 3 times since I've had the motorcycle. The speed limit around town is 25 mph so my average is about 35 mph...I am mostly in 2nd or 3rd gear...What I should have is a scooter with and auto trans for slow riding, but I really like the Harley's weight feels stable on the road than a light scooter... I am also using 91 oct... gas so that should not be the problem... I will take the motorcycle for a long ride and get it up around 55 - 65 mph and then check the gas milage...This Monday will be the big ride...Thanks guys!!!!

Just for curiosity, have you done the usual maintenance routine stuff...1) checked and changed the plugs, 2) checked fueling system for no obstructions, made sure your mixture is running only "slightly" rich...3) checked all wiring connections primary and secondary HV Ignition wire connections. 4) made sure your brakes calipers are releasing and not dragging excessively (you may hear light intermittant swish due to rotor runout), 5) tire pressures and all rolling stock rolling free? 6) Upshifting with smooth and modest use of the throttle. :57: One would think you should be getting around 45 mpg combined city and highway. On highway only I have hit 55 mpg with modest throttle and 65-70 mph.

I've got an new 1200C, only has 480 miles on it. I ride mostly rural not much in town, lots of country roads, average 45-55 mph, this I'm doing for the break in as I can vary RPM and speed and gears. Just my choice. On occasion I will put it on the Highway for a few miles and take it up to around 65 for a while. My millage will vary from 39-42 mpg. I'm going to change the oil here in a day or two and take a 300 mile round trip up into Iowa, I'll be watching the mpg real close as most of it will be hwy riding. When I get back it will be 1000 mile service time, then I'll be riding it like I normally ride and well see how she does.

Thanks for the info NEWHD74FAN, That is what I needed to know what do I need to look at. I will start with #1 and go through #6. I did change the plugs (new) from the dealer so I don't think that is the problem. It could be fuel line blockage I got the cycle with 400 miles on it and it sat all winter without changing the gas so I though it could be water in the tank, So I changed it out, but it still will feel like it is going to stall out sometimes. I've tried different gases and it seems to run best on Kwik trip gas 91 Oct... Again I will start with #1 and go though #6. I am going to put it on my jack and check the pads first to see if they are stickinig... I did today take the motorcycle up to 60 mph just a short distance. Next week everyday after I do the checks this weekend I will take it for some long rides and see how she does...Thanks for all the help guys...

Back