free website stats program Hayden tensionor and primary whine | Harley Davidson Forums

Hayden tensionor and primary whine

jkrahn

Just recently installed the M-6 on my 99 eglide and have since noticed a bit more noise from my primary. The sound is similar to the whine from older bikes witn a generator. Any one else have this experience? Should I be looking for a problem somewhere else?

Just recently installed the M-6 on my 99 eglide and have since noticed a bit more noise from my primary. The sound is similar to the whine from older bikes witn a generator. Any one else have this experience? Should I be looking for a problem somewhere else?

Recheck the chain tension cold, a whine most usually is TOO tight

I am with Jack on this just a wee bit too tight and the whine is there

Brian

The M-6 is auto tensioning and I set it up per instructions, I might just need to remmove a shim to make it a bit looser. My other thought on this is that before installing the auto tensionor the chain may have been too loose for me to hear the noise. If the chain is a bit too tight, will I be causing any damage?

As the bike heats up the sprockets on the clutch hub and compensator expand with the heat making the chain tighter this will put some extra strain on the bearings possibly causing premature failure
If the chain had been too loose in the past there may have been some noise associated with the chain hitting the primary cover

Brian

Back