free website stats program Harleys Discounted? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harleys Discounted?

I read an old account on the net where a gent in I think Missouri owned three Harley Davidson dealerships. One for sure in a major city. Anyway according to this interview his totals sales in 2002 was $38,000.000.00 (thirty eight million). Now for the sake of this discussion, I must wonder how much of that ended up being his profit after all expenses were paid out for the year? Is there a "textbook" answer for that?

Good question.

You have to be careful here. Gathering information on Harley-Davidson corporate is very different than researching HD dealerships. Corporate, a public company, has to publish financial reports. From those, and from Wall Street analysts, information on margins and company value can be gleaned.

HD dealerships, on the other hand, are private businesses who do not have to report to stockholders--at least not publicly. Too, dealerships for Harleys are rather unique in that they are not franchises. Thus, they can operate however they want to, financially speaking, as long as they adhere to the branding and product requirements set out by corporate.

Dealerships can, then, charge add-on fees as they see fit. It is competition between dealerships--not across motorcycle brands--that most influence dealer sales tactics. Keep in mind that excellent marketing and branding by corporate provides dealers an excellent playing field not only for new sales but for follow-on sales (parts, clothing, etc.) that is wildly profitable. And the brilliant tactic of encouraging bike customization actually protects new bike sales in a low-depreciation used bike market.

I know of two dealerships that have gone under in the past months. Both suffered from enjoying the wave of success in recent years but failed to manage costs and sales margins on services, accessories, parts and clothing. Curiously, both dealers had a reputation for selling bikes at MSRP and the new owners blame that for the demise of the previous owners. That conveniently excuses them for adding on their extra fees. Hogwash. (Pun intended.)

But selling at MSRP was not the cause. In both cases it was poor customer service and bad product mix. They both concentrated so much on new bike sales they failed to meet demand for after-purchase goodies the customers shopped elsewhere.

This is a very compelling market to study. HD corporate has teed up a great business for dealers. Sometimes, dealers "behave" and do very well. Sometimes they get greedy or lazy and fail. That's business.

My bottom line is that we, as buyers, need to think with our heads--not our hearts. Ken Schmidt, former corporate communications director for HD during the turnaround, is very clear when he preaches that HD's strategy was to bypass the brain and go straight for the heart. We as bikers need to keep our brains clearly engaged while satisfying our heart's desire.

I plan to keep my brain and not check it at the dealership door. The more who do so will result is better prices and, actually, a better business relationship with the dealer for all.

From htiger
My bottom line is that we, as buyers, need to think with our heads--not our hearts. Ken Schmidt, former corporate communications director for HD during the turnaround, is very clear when he preaches that HD's strategy was to bypass the brain and go straight for the heart. We as bikers need to keep our brains clearly engaged while satisfying our heart's desire.

I plan to keep my brain and not check it at the dealership door. The more who do so will result is better prices and, actually, a better business relationship with the dealer for all.

(Reply)

Gotcha...Thanks, I read your overview reply with deep interest.

I have the fever for a new Harley:newsmile093:....but I'm not delirious.:bigsmiley30:

I can attest to the supply & demand issue. I had to travel to an out of area dealer 4 hours away when I bought my first one in 2002 as my local dealer (Charlotte HD, Charlotte, NC) was charging $2k over msrp on every model but those that werent in demand. Screw that!

But!....the dealer who did sell to me at msrp "required" that I spend $1k in accessories when I picked up my bike (which btw I waited 6 months to take deleviry of) which as I understand it was illegal!....but I wanted the bike and figured what's a grand when it comes to accessories? A set of pipes and breather kit, some little chrome doo-dads and botta-bing, botta-boom...a grand outta your hands.

I also discovered they charged me $995.00 for freight & setup which was ridiculous.

Now, as I just picked up my new 09 glide 3 weeks ago from my local dealer (I now live in Pa), I paid exactly msrp which is shown on the motor companies web site, no freight, no setup, and the dealer even ate the cost of swapping the laced wheels for the regular mags which I think look better with the red paint. And yes, he credited me the $450.00 for the laced wheels.

Thing is I only got $10.5k for my 02 FXSTD which was pristine and he has it on the floor for $13.5k.
All they did was put new tires on it. Yes, I tried to sell it but had no such luck so I had to trade it. Another dealer only wanted to give me $9.5k!

Finally, I have found H-D to be extremly good at marketing. The salesman told me to strip anything extra I had on the bike because he couldnt give me anything for it, so thats just what I did. I wish I would have had my stock rear wheel & pully! I swapped it at a chromer and had to leave the chrome ones on the bike...GRRRRR!

I was able to sell most of the stuff I did remove on ebay though and pay for the sissy bar setup and highway pegs for the glide....but I wondered why they didnt just give a little more and keep the bike looking sharp. I figured it would have sold a lot faster, then I realized what their doing.

They want to sell all those goodies to the next owner. Must be a heck of a markup on parts, as Chicago HD sells everything for 20% off list.

And my dealer is doing me a "favor" by selling to me at 10% off because I bought a bike there? C-mon......

Back