free website stats program Harley's Cross Bones Reviews: Thoughts | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley's Cross Bones Reviews: Thoughts

elkhunter149

Account Removed
Greetings, I would like to hear thoughts from people that own the Cross Bones, 2008-2009. Going to buy tomorrow and want to hear feedback, positive and neg.

Ken

I bought my '09 last November. I always have loved the springer. I had a '34 RL years ago and wanted a nostalgic looking bike. I have made some mods that make it a bit more comfortable for me. I put the mini beach bars on it because the apes just weren't comfortable on longer rides. The beach bars are way comfortable and look pretty darn good too. I have also changed the rear fender to the '08 Fat boy fender. Just for looks. I like it much better. The ride is very nice on the sprung seat. Everywhere I go people seem to gather around it. I only have 4000 miles on it so far but every one of those miles was a pleasure to ride. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

John

Thanks for the reply John. Helps alot. The cross bones has everything I want fat rear, bobber look, and that old school style. I had the 07 softail standard and loved it, I was waiting for Harley to put the 200 rear tire on the 2008 springer and trade it in. Didn't know they were going to discontinue it.

I would say RIDE IT BEFORE you BUY IT. That means take it on the freeway not just around the block put at least 10 miles on it before you make the final deal. It's a springer with floor boards not an FX with forward control. The ride will be different. You might love it you might like it, or you might hate it, but would you like to know before you shell out 20 grand?

Thanks for the reply. If I buy it ,its a steal at 13,900 with 1800 miles. I have been riding for, well since I was 11, 54 now. Your advice about spending 20gs is very correct. I would encourage any person youg, old, rich or poor to heed that advice and pay atention to it. Harleys are not cheap and the investment is huge, as well as a learning experince
Ride like you love it
Ken

Sounds like a good deal.Having owned a springer for over ten years I can tell you I love that front end.It always amazed me how many people where experts on the inferior handling yet had never ridden one.
A couple quirks that do come with the bike.A little more maintanance like having the rockers done every 20k or so.Swaping out a front tire can be an adventure.I always sprayed my springs down with WD 40 in the winter as they will rust on the inside if not taken care of.Also it can be difficult to customize if youre not happy with the stock bar/riser configuration.Theres not alot of options for the springer.Ness does however make a triple tree conversion plate allowing you to use any bar/riser combo.
Ive also found trailering a springer to be different than a conventional front end.Normaly you would be concerned about blowing out fork seals, not the case with a springer.It losens up much easier and faster so tie it down tighter and check it sooner rather than later.On one trip with a buddy's standard and mine at every fill up it seemed Id need to tighten yet his was fine.

Thanks for the info. Just got home from picking up the cross bones. It was a 230 mile ride over 13,500 feet hills. :). My first ride on the springer front end. Very impressed. Spring seat and floor boards may have to go. It is surley a true classy bike.
Ken

Back