free website stats program Harley Davidson to the point | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson to the point

Stephen Rudd

Hello to all people
As where to start I'm only 21 but love to get a HD ultra or the road king but never owned one but keep getting put off by people who keep saying they have lots of problems and they full to bits, I've read different information on different thing and stuck in the middle
All I want is a long road trip around the Uk with trouble free issues, but I understand a well maintenance motorcycle can last for ever,
Any advice or tips
Thanks in advance

Stephen

I live in north east Scotland and have ridden my Harleys to Germany and back on numerous occasions without issue my bikes are a 92 softail custom and a 94 dyna wide glide and would not think twice about taking them on a long road trip my bikes are maintained by me and they do get proper maintenance and care

Brian

I have had the softail since 2007 and the dyna since early 2008 wife rides the dyna these are possibly the most reliable bikes I have ever had but the only time I have not completed a bike journey was after a blow out on rear tyre on the M5 in 1979 joined the AA after that with the full relay service and twice had punctures and been assisted by them and at that time I was replacing the tyres regularly rear about 3 times a year and front twice a year those were in 81 and 82
so weak point on a bike has in the past been tyres but they are much better now
My bike brands over the years have been Honda, Triumph, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Bmw, Harley Davidson

Brian

Nice, I guess they have gottens better, I guess I'll have to just buy one, and forget about the haters, who probably haven't even ridden one

No matter what make of bike you get there will be naysayers who think they are experts. Buy what you like and have fun riding.

As Brian, I've had my 08 softail custom since early 09, nary a problem with reliability, my low beam on headlight went out on a trip to Salt Springs, Bodeen came to my rescue with a spare, thanks bro!

I have an '09 EG Ultra Classic that as of this week hit 70,000 kms after returning from a 5500+ km round trip to British Columbia from my home in Manitoba. Last year I replaced the stock compensator and installed a new battery and other than tires that's it since new in 2009. I usually go on at least one 5000 km (on average) trip per year. For as much as I hear the Japanese model owners slam HD, the vast majority have never ridden nor owned one. I've owned Honda in the past and had issues with them as well so no matter what you buy do the routine maintenance and don't ride it like you stole it (people who steal bikes don't pay for repairs). Ride it like you own it and want it to last forever. Having said that I don't baby my bike but don't run her at redline either.

We just did close to a short 1200 mile trip, ambient temps close to 100 at times. Only 2 problems, 1 we had to get gas a few times, 2 we had to come back home.
I have had Yamaha and Kawasaki bikes both were nice, but they are nothing like th H-D bikes that I've had.

I just gave,,,,,, yeah I said gave my son a 1988 Harley FLHS Electra Glide Sport I bought new. Gave it to him in March this year. (I bought me a 2005 FLHTCI) to replace it with. It had 86,000 plus miles on it. We live in N W Georgia , my wife was born and raised in Madison Wisconsin. We rode that scooter up there 9 or 10 times, went to Sturgis once on it. Laconia, all over the east coast and gulf coast as far as Galveston Texas. Routine maintenance, never dogging it out, and a little common sense. I never had any major issues with it. Only time it failed to crank was in Moline Illinois after refueling and that was the battery connection. You take care of your scooter and your scooter will take care of you.

Back