free website stats program hard starting [sometimes] | Harley Davidson Forums

hard starting [sometimes]

ultradoc

I have a 2000 ultra classic with 49,500 miles. I changed the battery about 2 years ago thinking that might be the salution. It wasn't. If I don't ride for a day or so I hook the battery up to a trickle charger. About a year ago I had the same problem with my Jeep Wrangler. Within several months I changed the battery twice which didn't help. I also changed the battery cables which didn't help. I finally changed the starter which solved the problem. So my problem with my ultra is sometimes it's hard to start. It's like the battery doesn't have a full charges and it cranks [from a split second to several seconds] slow. Like I said it's been going on for about 2 years now. It happens when the bike is hot or cold. It hasn't left me stranded yet but I am affraid one day it might. Before I sink money into a new starter is there anything I should check or do? Maybe the starter button is getting worn out [if that's possable]. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not very good at electrical issues but I've read lots of threads about them. The number one thing everyone seems to recommend is to be sure you check all your cable connections for security and lack of corrosion, especially your grounds. Even a fully charged battery is fighting an uphill battle if you've got lousy connections.

First thing to check is the source The Battery always, fully charged it should read 12.7 volts. If it does not start with the simple things first. Check the charging system cables and load test the battery

After re reading your post, you could check the starter connection at the main terminal on the starter, be sure it is clean and tight. Use a volt meter to verify you have the same voltage there that you have at the battery, should be the same, turn on the ignition and read the voltage next what is it? Next start the bike and record what the voltage dropped to, this may show a weak battery, Good Luck I hope this helps

I think you have some good advise here. I have a '94FLSTC and it was giving me the same type of condition, hard to start or get the starter to turm the bike over. Battery was almost 4 years old so it was replaced first and it didn't solve the problem. Checked the charging system and replaced the cables. Still had a problem, even took the starter apart but everything checked out. Turns out I had two problems 1.corrosion on the relay connection and 2. corrosion in the starter switch itself. Changed the switch out and replaced the relay and cleaned the connections. Problem solved

Just a though, If you get a new battery, Before you put it in the bike , Fully charge it yourself. Don't believe any salesman that its good to go off the shelf. A new battery that's not fully charged before it's first use will not last as long as a fully charged one from the start will.

Simply Put,,, IF a new battery is installed,(borrowed or tried out) And makes all work fine again, it Must be the battery..

I don't get much over two years out of a battery. If yours is UP to specks and it Drops off to under the 12.75 area after a Try to Start, It is probably in need of replacement.

A battery Can show the proper amount of Juice BUT the amps needed to start the bike are not there. Voltage drop will tell you this.

signed....BUBBIE

FIRST THING I WOULD CHECK IS ALL GROUNDING STRAPS/ STARTER MOUNT BOLTS, are they tight? use blue locktight.. THEN THE SOLINIOD.WITH 49K ON THE BIKE YOU COULD GET A solinoid REPAIR KIT.
.HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED INSTALLING A aux. start switch? this by-passes all the safety (neutral start switch, etc thats in your bike.
just buy a marine use switch from say auto zone. i've done this on a rider mower and it works great ,just seal the connections on the switch with RTV.
AND YOU WON'T GET STRANDED. AM DOING THIS ON MY '09 T/G.
on ronnies h-d their microfiche shows the part at 50.99 but doesn't give a p/n.

Back