free website stats program Hard Starting in First Gear | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hard Starting in First Gear

Has anyone removed the transmission clutch release cover and checked the coupling and ramp assembly

We finally solved the problem. We adjusted the clutch per the instructions posted here and we changed the primary fluid to Redline Primary and Chaincase oil from the HD Syn3 that was in it. We think there was too much Syn3 in the primary. We used one quart of the Redline.

There was an immediated improvement but the problem wasn't solved over night. Over the next couple weeks the clutch got better every day. Now first gear starts are normal, for a Harley.

It takes a while to leach the old oil from between the plates. The syn3 isn't a good choice in the primary (or anywhere else) because of the composition of the oil. Glad you have an improvement in any case.

I'm glad to hear things are better now your problem and solution just proves that the correct oil and level are imperative to correct operation of a wet multiplate clutch
i have on more than 1 occasion had to strip a clutch and clean all the plates with petrol to get a clutch working properly again (not on my bike i have always tried to help others)

Brian

My 07 DYNA will surge foreward an inch or two when starting cold in first gear...I start in neutral 99% of the time...glad you (somewhat) solved the problem...

Just got back from a ride on my new 2010 E/G classic. It did the same thing 2 times today. Once when cold and the other when it was warmed up. It only has 400 miles so the clutch disc's may not be broke in yet. Does anyone know what lube they put in the primary on the new bikes?
Bob

Back