free website stats program handlebars | Harley Davidson Forums

handlebars

bear02

witch would be better .taller bars or taller risers.have 12 inch mini apes and 1 inch risers thinking of going with 16 inch bars and 1 inch risers, or 12 inch bars and 4,5 risers.

I agree with Bedrock here that either way you end up at the same height. If you like the bars you have now then the risers would be a cheaper way to raise the bars.

Might want to check your states law about handlebar height. Hate to see you spend a bunch of money only to have to take whatever you did back apart. Law enforcement will hand out tickets for things like this from time to time.

Table 1. Motorcycle Handlebar Height Restrictions By State

Alabama, Alaska, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, North Dakota, Ohio, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia

MAXIMUM OF 15 INCHES ABOVE SEAT

Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Maine, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, South Dakota, Wyoming

HANDGRIPS MUST BE BELOW SHOULDER HEIGHT

Nebraska

MAXIMUM OF 15 INCHES ABOVE HANDLEBAR FASTENING POINT

Washington, Wisconsin

MAXIMUM OF 30 INCHES ABOVE SEAT

Oklahoma

HANDLEBARS MAY NOT BE HIGHER THAN OPERATOR'S EYE LEVEL

California

HANDLEBARS MUST BE POSITIONED SO THAT OPERATOR'S HANDS ON GRIPS ARE NOT MORE THAN 6 INCHES ABOVE SHOULDER HEIGHT WHEN SEATED

Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia

NO RESTRICTIONS ON HANDLEBAR HEIGHT

The number of states maintaining a 15-inch above seat level standard has decreased from 27 to 20 since 1997 and the number of states with a “below shoulder height” standard has decreased from 13 to 10. Conversely, since 1997 10 states have eliminated their standards (6 states to 16). Most recently, in 2005 Arizona and New York changed from a 15-inch standard to a shoulder height standard, Delaware and South Carolina went from a 15-inch standard to no restrictions, and Kansas went from a shoulder height standard to no restrictions.

Risers come in straight and curved. Since the top triple tree mount is at a slight angle, even straight risers change handlebar position a LOT. I was never able to find risers that I liked on my Dyna. Taller bars can be rotated fore and aft for personal preferance. Then there's the cable and wires length problem.

Last edited:
witch would be better .taller bars or taller risers.have 12 inch mini apes and 1 inch risers thinking of going with 16 inch bars and 1 inch risers, or 12 inch bars and 4,5 risers.

sorry.for posture. have some back pain after about 20-30 min. ride.

I think this may depend on where your pain in your back is, From my back pain (lower) my stock mini apes are fine, the seat in my case was the BIG factor, that said, with back pain each is a case unto itself, I hope you get it sorted out

Back