free website stats program had to add 1/2 quart of oil. normal? | Harley Davidson Forums

had to add 1/2 quart of oil. normal?

robertc

before I went on my 350 mile trip I checked fluids and noticed the oil on the dipstick was in the middle of the register between add and full. The bike was hot when I checked level so I added about 1/2 quart to bring the level back up. I was at about 2800 miles since last oil change. I am still using syn3 oil. The bike has 7500 miles total and about 3500 miles since I did the 103 kit. Is it normal to have to add oil or should I be worried about the rings not having seated in right? Just curious as to how many of you need to ever add oil to your scoots. Don't want to be paranoid nor negligent either. I am converting over to mobile1 this weekend as its time to change oil. thanks for your advice over my concerns.

New bikes can use as much as a quart of oil before the first oil change and it tapers off depending on how it's broken in. After 4-5K miles it really shouldn't use any more oil between changes. The key is consistency in checking the oil level.

I am pretty consistent when it comes to checking fluids. Especially before a long ride. At the last oil change I had the harley oil cooler added to my bike and have been especially vigilant of the levels. I noticed what seems to be a bit more of an accumulation of soot on the oil filter itself. There are no leaks at the hoses and no drip marks in the garage under the bike. I will focus my attention on the filter after I have the oil changed. Prior to adding the oil cooler I have never had to add oil to my bike and it seemed to be fine after the addition. It wasn't until slightly under 3000 miles that I felt I should add a bit more oil before my long ride. I do recall the oil level showing full after the oil cooler addition even when the bike was cold. I assumed my mechanic did that to account for the amount needed to fill the oil cooler. It stayed pretty consistent for most of the 3000 miles. I do feel confident in my mechanics abilities. He is very meticulous and only works on Harley's. He is the most sought after indy in town.

I too noticed that my 09' SG is using a little oil. I usually check my bike cold, because it is too hard to gage what temperate is considered hot, and the dip stick gets too hot to screw in and out comfortably. I noticed that my oil registered about 3 rows down from the full indicator on the dipstick (mileage 4500). When I changed it at 3000 miles it was full if not a little over full. I run regular oil because I am not a fan of syn. Ideas on this oil usage? Normal or Too much?

I too noticed that my 09' SG is using a little oil. I usually check my bike cold, because it is too hard to gage what temperate is considered hot, and the dip stick gets too hot to screw in and out comfortably. I noticed that my oil registered about 3 rows down from the full indicator on the dipstick (mileage 4500). When I changed it at 3000 miles it was full if not a little over full. I run regular oil because I am not a fan of syn. Ideas on this oil usage? Normal or Too much?

What type of oil do you run? What are your objections with synthetic? Just curious.

It may have not been full to start with so I would not worry to much.
Also SYN3 is not really one of the better engine oils to use.
Some have noticed a higher oil useage with it.
when HD says check hot they mean HOT not just warmed up a few minutes.
How offten I need to add a little depends on so many things it is hard to give an amount
I for one have had "higher oil usage" with SYN3 oil. When I first bought my '03 Ultra last year I put around 5000 miles on it and had to add a little over a quart during that time period. After reading this forum I switched to Mobil1 Vtwin synthetic and I didn't have to add oil once this year putting on the same amount of mileage.. The dealer told me so long as I check the oil on the bike from time to time I should have no problem. Probably because the also recommended SYN3!

I ahd slight oil useage when I was at 96" but since the 103 stage 2 was done it doesn't use any (that I can tell) since. I now have about 4500 miles on the 103. I have a different problem with base weepage which is posted on another thread.

I run straight 20w50 harley oil. I started to use it at first just to show proof that I bought and changed the oil to satisfy the warranty. After purchasing it I am pleased to find that it is made in the USA so I may stick with it even after the warranty's up.

As to why I don't like synthetic oils:

Just never been a fan of synthetic. I helped a friend tear apart a truck engine that ran synthectic truck mix and the oil left a carmalized glaze on all the engine components. I wasn't to fond of that. Plus I am a little old fashion.

When checking your oil you should check it hot, so as not to overfill, but! when I'm trying to keep track of oil useage I always check it cold, when checked cold it will always be the same, where as when it gets hot it can be anywhere from 180 to 280 or more, and with not knowing the exact temp from check to check, and oil expanding more, the hotter it gets, the variance on the dip stick could be off by a lot.
Jonnierock

Back