free website stats program H-D Smart Security System | Harley Davidson Forums

H-D Smart Security System

TawnyPorter

I recently had a 2008 Fat Boy stolen from my work and after the insurance investigation and settlement, I bought a 2009 Fat Boy that is almost identical. This time I'm taking no chances and arming it to the teeth with everything I can put on it. I purchased an HDSSS and a SSII hoping to have it installed by my dealer but they are 2 weeks out for any labor. I need to ride so I decided to tackle the learning curve. I paid for a PDF download of the service and electrical manuals, opened up the boxes and dug in. Of course anything that comes from HD has virtually no instruction so that you have to take it in. I'm not deterred. Moving along I eventually figured out how to take the plastic guard out of the fender and disassemble the old turn signal relay. I installed everything as indicated except for one part which I can't find a single word or photo about. Where to locate the end of the antenna for the HDSSS. It has a plastic clip that snaps on to it with very distinctive features that obviously line up with something to attach it to. I cannot find that location. If anyone has ever installed one of these things for a Softail I'd sure appreciate it if you could answer this final piece of my puzzle. I can take a photo of the antenna and clip if needed.

Thanks alot, Tawny

Relying on my memory may not be your best bet, however...

I seem to recall seeing the instructions showing the antenna mounted near the battery, under the seat.

Check the HD website for your part(s) with the part #. Often they will have the instructions available for download free. Maybe the instructions you got with your kit are incomplete.

You might also check Youtube.

Good Luck!

Cheers!

Thanks for replying. Believe me I combed Google, YouTube, and the HD website. The instructions on HD were the same as in the package. (Bring it in!) Actually this forum is what came up with more info than any other. I'm going to post a couple of pics and see what shakes out. I haven't laid down the velco backing for the SSII yet which you can see laying over on the right side.

Thanks, Tawny

Attachments

• IMG_0823 copy.jpg
    IMG_0823 copy.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0822 copy.jpg
    IMG_0822 copy.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0825 copy.jpg
    IMG_0825 copy.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0827 copy.jpg
    IMG_0827 copy.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0828 copy.jpg
    IMG_0828 copy.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 39
Just an assumption but when I did mine I had to move 3 relays and that hole spacing looks very close to matching the little rubber gizmos that hold the relays on. However there were very detailed instructions and templates for my install, so I would just look for a spot under that side cover. it is just an antenna so worst case you loose a bit of distance.

I went to two dealerships and both were out of the pager but I do plan on ordering one. I did buy a second fob on their recommendation.

I'll pull up a few things and see if the plastic clip for the antenna lines up with the screw holes of something already mounted. Perhaps a piece needs to be detached and then snapped in to the clip after screwing the clip down.

If there's a good place to post this, I'll put up a step-by-step tutorial so the rest of the planet won't have to walk in circles around their bikes for half a day trying to figure it out. It's really not that hard to install the units once you figure out how to tear in to the bike. I wish they'd just include a few details with the one page instruction sheet. They keep referring you to the service manual as if everyone has a shop reference just laying around. I guess I do now. I purchased a PDF download of the service and wiring manuals which provide a few good answers. No visuals on that pesky HDSSS antenna though...

I am aware of some dissatisfaction with the pager but I have been really pleased with mine. Especially at a motel or campsite. Maybe I got a good one but I have tested it to have a very long range. I do remove the battery while it is not being used at home so that is a bit of a pain.

I am aware of some dissatisfaction with the pager but I have been really pleased with mine.

You must have gotten a good one. I tried everything I know with mine and it is near useless.
The pager has a beacon light that blinks when it is in contact with the bike. Wow Great idea. But BY DESIGN that feature turns itself off after 1 hour to conserve battery life. So after 1 hour, you no longer know your bike is ok because you can be out of radio range. Which by the way is line of sight for my system.

Back