free website stats program Ground Connections | Harley Davidson Forums

Ground Connections

JDPEagle

I was in the process of cleaning up a lot of wiring behind the battery box and under my seat. I have really racked up a lot of wires squeezing their way into my battery box (and I MEAN squeezing... not much room in there). TFi ground wire, LED engine light leads, and a heated gear/battery tender harness really cramped things up.

I ended up connecting all of the accessory positive leads (on fused lines) to the positive lead bolt on the top of the starter, and moved all of the negative wires to a grounding screw on the rear of the frame (in front of the fender). This put me back to having a clean two cables (+,-) running into the battery box.

Main questions:
1. Is it okay for the TFi to be connected to ground rather than the negative terminal of the battery?
2. Is there any issue with charging from the battery tender with the negative connection going to the frame and positive going to the positive terminal (via the starter cable)?

Anyone see any other problems with this type of connection set-up? Everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks!

None what so ever, so long as you have good connections at the battery, in fact it's a lot better for your battery and system then having all them wire waiting for some thing to short out. Sounds like a much cleaner set up.

It will be no problem. Just keep the conection in mind when doing the servicing.

One of those wise sayings which should be common sense, but couldn't be said enough. Kind of like "I'm going to put this here so that I don't lose it..."

Thanks guys!

Back