free website stats program Grip removal help | Harley Davidson Forums

Grip removal help

HD4EVER

I put the rail grips on my bike last summer using the hair-spray as glue I read on here and it worked great, now I need to get them off & the left one is on really tite to the bars. I know it can be taken off without tearing it up I just need to know how? :eam THANKS

Remove your left switch housing. Then insert a small screwdriver between the bar and grip, and squirt some isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol in the gap. Work the screwdriver around the bar, and squirt some more. Then twisting the grip should start to break the adhesive and it will (hopefully) slide off. You can also use WD40 or other spray, but they leave an oily residue.

Thanks want to use what ever will make them come off and reuseable, would the WD make them unstickable again

You can use alcohol or even spray carb cleaner will do the trick without effecting reattachment.

Got it off with the carb cleaner & a flat metal strip off an old wiper blade to run inside it, came rite off :bigsmiley12:

Good call in your case, if you took precautions to make sure no overspray or drops got on anything it did not belong. Carb cleaner works, only problem is it is SERIOUSLY aggressive and if you get it on your paint you would have been VERY unhappy. :newsmile071:

Got it off with the carb cleaner & a flat metal strip off an old wiper blade to run inside it, came rite off :bigsmiley12:

I knew there was a use for those metal strips ! I have a couple somewhere. Thank you for the tip.

Back