free website stats program Greetings from Belgium | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Greetings from Belgium

I have also had some serious red tape trying to register my bike I imported from the UK.
The problem with mine is that it is a custom build,the frame number originates from a 2005 Sportster from the US and the Twin Cam motor is from a 1999 FXDX.
I was told that if the bike has been registered in the UK (which it had) then the Belgians have to recognise this and issue you with papers to register it accordingly.

That's the theory,but in reality it's not so easy. The Belgian authorities need to know the maximum BHP of the engine,which is not required on a UK registration document,and only an official letter or certificate from either H-D or the DVLA will do.
The DVLA could not help,and H-D were no help at all.Basically if the bike is a custom build then H-D don't want to know,they only want to sell you a stock bike,anything else seems too radical for them.
I now have to spend a further 1,500 euro's on having the bike put on a rolling road (Dynometer) to obtain the certificate,with which I 'should' at last be issued with registration papers.

When the time comes to swap my beloved chopper for another Harley,I'll go for something more standard.

And why buy in the UK? Price,you get a lot more for your money compared to Belgium and Holland.

Back