free website stats program Great lead to follow | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Great lead to follow

How do you guys like the Redline? When I put my bike in gear when cold its sound like I hit it with a hammer, also a lot of noise when shifting.

How do you guys like the Redline? When I put my bike in gear when cold its sound like I hit it with a hammer, also a lot of noise when shifting.

C'mon, you've owned a Harley long enough to know the answer to that:

"They all do that!" :p

It's from the parasitic drag of the heavier oil. It's a great oil as well as Spectro but it does have that drawback when it's cold. I had the same problem with a previous bike and as a result switched to the Spectro platinum oil.

Another thing brought up in a previous thread, before shifting, hold in the clutch and count off 3-5 seconds to allow engine vibration and no clutch pressure holding the plates together loosen up the oil film and separate...more a chance to lessen clutch plate "sticking" so not so much of a bang. It does make a difference...'course I use Spectrol in my Sporty and in mild SoCal climate I still feel and hear the difference doing so.

Another thing brought up in a previous thread, before shifting, hold in the clutch and count off 3-5 seconds to allow engine vibration and no clutch pressure holding the plates together loosen up the oil film and separate...

I tried that the other day and it Really does help on cold starts. I need to go back and click on the "cloud" for that original post.:p

I tried that the other day and it Really does help on cold starts. I need to go back and click on the "cloud" for that original post.:p

That and I roll down the drive way with the clutch in and snap her in gear with ease and no clunk

I changed the tranny fluid on my '09 RKC after about 10,000 miles following Gliders lead.:worthy I can confirm that there are noticeable improvements in shifting. It is notably Quieter and easier to shift. The shearing forces must be fierce in there! Considering the ease of changing (can be done on the jiffy stand with a quick straddle leveling at the end of draining to get the last few drops out), and the low cost, I'll always do it at 10 instead of 20,000. Cheap insurance for sure.:s I warmed it up and placed a brick under the stand to level it more before draining. Don't forget to wipe any oil off that gets on the frame under there it only takes a few seconds. Lets ride!

Billyd, I agree with you 100%. I just did a fluid change and I took gliders lead also and what a difference. Yes, it may cost a little more but it is allot cheaper than esp or a new trany.

Be careful! Placing a brick under the jiffy stand puts the bike much closer to unintentionally tipping the other way. I just drain as much as possible while on the stand and then get on the bike and tip it away from the stand to drain the rest.

Dr. D. brings up a very serious consideration. I use a stack of a 4x4 and 2x4 under the frame on the right side as a safety measure. When crawling around and laying on the ground on the right side of the bike to access the drain plugs, the stack of 4x4 and 2x4 is a bit of safety in case I inadvertently pull on the right side of the bike. With my bike configuration (lowered, AVON tires, etc.) the 4x4 and 2x4 allow the bike to stand almost straight up with a very slight lean to the right.

TQ

Attachments

• P4180027.jpg
    P4180027.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 274
  • P4180029.jpg
    P4180029.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 30
  • P4180028.jpg
    P4180028.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 262
  • P4180030.jpg
    P4180030.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 29
It's from the parasitic drag of the heavier oil. It's a great oil as well as Spectro but it does have that drawback when it's cold. I had the same problem with a previous bike and as a result switched to the Spectro platinum oil.

Thanks for the replys.
Glider, I have not changed my trans yet, I will be doing it this week. You say the Spectro is better at stopping that cold shift band, and better over all then the Red Line? I can buy Red Line or Spectro. Thanks Lew

C'mon, you've owned a Harley long enough to know the answer to that:

"They all do that!" :p

Yep, I'm sure your right, I guess I'm just missing my quiet '05 5 speed. :worthy

Another thing brought up in a previous thread, before shifting, hold in the clutch and count off 3-5 seconds to allow engine vibration and no clutch pressure holding the plates together loosen up the oil film and separate...more a chance to lessen clutch plate "sticking" so not so much of a bang. It does make a difference...'course I use Spectrol in my Sporty and in mild SoCal climate I still feel and hear the difference doing so.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. D. brings up a very serious consideration. I use a stack of a 4x4 and 2x4 under the frame on the right side as a safety measure. When crawling around and laying on the ground on the right side of the bike to access the drain plugs, the stack of 4x4 and 2x4 is a bit of safety in case I inadvertently pull on the right side of the bike. With my bike configuration (lowered, AVON tires, etc.) the 4x4 and 2x4 allow the bike to stand almost straight up with a very slight lean to the right.

TQ

TQ documented what I do to change fluids in my Sporty...but for speed I also lean it against our wood fence out back, putting bike in gear and cutting wheel so bike does not roll...(you can lean it against a wall in your garage), and if unfinished you can put 2x4's and secure to the studs with bike hooks & nylon or Ancra straps as an alternative. It works, the hooks you can get at the 99c Store.

Last edited:
Back