Grease in primary chaincase

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by cscooter93, Mar 8, 2010.

1. cscooter93

cscooter93 Member

While I was surfing some sites for info I found part of an article that had someone putting grease in the primary. I can get the link but the article isn't really all that related to the greased primary. I figured I'd see if anyone had heard of this before. Probably a temporary fix to quiet a worn primary chain but ya' never know. I couldn't see much benefit for the clutch either. Just curious.

2. dfbales

dfbales Active Member

that is kind of like pure stp in engine, my brother bought a bike , when he looked at it it was hot (temp) a little hard on the kick starter. but he thought it was ok, took it home. the next day we had to pull it with the car to get it to turn over to start, well had to drive it back, found out the guy used stp straight in it cause " it smoked a little"

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Back in the day , EL and Fl comp sprockets had grease fittings but I never heard of grease in the chaincase

4. Dan89FLSTC

Dan89FLSTC Banned

Probably grease in the hub bearing on a dry clutch.

5. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

This would be an exceedingly bad idea in your wet clutch primary.

TQ

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Actual plug in the tin primary case where the comp sprocket is

7. cscooter93

cscooter93 Member

The article was about changing over to a primary belt drive and had lots of pics. The dissassembly photos of the chain drive showed alot of grease. I would guess a tube full. I can't see how the clutch would even work with that.