free website stats program grease for rear brake pedal? | Harley Davidson Forums

grease for rear brake pedal?

Bedrock

I had a few prior posts where I was having problems w/ what I can only describe as a "sticky" rear brake pedal (when pressed down would not raise back up she released). I first disassembled the front brake pedal to make sure there wasn't any grime in there, & then get drained & replaced the rear brake fluid. My bike sits outdoors (& near the coast), & while the front brake still seems sticky on a given day if I just rinse it w/ the water hose it seems fine & I'm off & running.
Any recommendations on a grease I might be able to put in the rear brake pedal?

I'm sure many of our members will have a favorite grease or one that is HD approved, but I have been using a marine grade of grease on the head bearings and rear brake pedal on my bikes for years.

I remember when you first posted about this issue, I had what is probably the same problem. I disassembled the front brake pedal and packed as much wheel bearing grease into the hole as I could. Reassembled and haven't had a problem since. Whole job took maybe 1/2 hour.

I remember when you first posted about this issue, I had what is probably the same problem. I disassembled the front brake pedal and packed as much wheel bearing grease into the hole as I could. Reassembled and haven't had a problem since. Whole job took maybe 1/2 hour.

cheers. any particular brand of wheel bearing grease to use?

I used a grease suitable for the wheel bearings on my boat trailer and I don't have any left or I would tell you exactly what type it was. I really don't think it matters as long as it's heavy enough to resist washing out. That's why I used the boat trailer stuff. Stop by any boating supply store like West Marine and ask for a grease suitable for trailer wheel bearings and you won't go wrong!

I had a similar problem with my shifter pivot. I have been using a good chassis grease in the shaft and have had no more problems. My guess is any good grade of chassis grease will work, just keep it lubed in a regular basis. Don't use a lot if you are in cold climates .

Conclusion: so, it turned out that the cause of the sticky rear brake pedal was a corroded rubber bushing inside the pedal. Had the bushing replaced & slightly bore out the inside of the pedal, & now the brake pedal is working perfectly.

Back