free website stats program grease fittings | Harley Davidson Forums

grease fittings

chuck60

Where are the grease fittings on the 2012 street glide and what kind of grease do I need. I am going to do my 1000 mile service myself. Right now there is not any grease on the neck of the bike, the dealer said the grease is packed in the neck. On my old bikes I always seen the grease on the neck.

1st congratulations on deciding to do your 1,000 mile service chuck60.
On the touring bike if you steer completely right from the left side of bike, you should see the fitting on the steering stem neck on the left side. It is probably a straight fitting and you may want to change to a 90 degree fitting. On my 2008 the fitting is a metric thread.
If no fitting there then consult owners manual and see if there is a service interval for the neck bearings and if not maybe HD has finally gone with sealed bearings...
Just a note that when greasing you are going to use alot of grease on first time for you are completely filling neck cavity....

the dealer said the grease is packed in the neck. .

The bearings and races are greased prior to factory assembly. There is no grease packed in the neck at all. Like dbmg said, you will use a lot of grease. About the 5th time you stop pumping and wonder what's wrong, is about when the grease will appear either at the top or bottom of the neck.

My bike (dry as a Bone) took about a tube and a half. I was careful NOT to pump in any air, especially when starting out on the second tube...

I would suggest to use the RED colored (thicker) full synthetic grease. Shell makes one and many others here will probably suggest their favorite...

Glider's shoe-lace trick may come in handy here... Glider might post a link (Please):D

signed....BUBBIE

Is lucas x-tra heavy duty a good one to use or would the lucas red and tacky be better?

I always use a grease with a drop point of 450 degrees or better. This way I never have a problem with melting on the fromnt fender in the summer....

Back