free website stats program grease fitting in frame neck | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

grease fitting in frame neck

Yes, I just went out and looked even with it turned all the way to the right there appears to be no way to get to it with out changing out the tip. It does appear someone has greased it in the past because of the left over grease around the tip. So another adventure begins.

Jonas, that's exactly the king of fitting I was looking for. Of course the four auto parts stores I went to did not have them in stock. The day after I installed the 90 degree fitting I had to go to a NAPA parts place to get some fuel line hose for my weed eater. The first thing I saw was the grease fitting you linked to; figures, don't it? Oh well, the situation is resolved and the thought of no grease will never be an issue again.

Jonas, that's exactly the king of fitting I was looking for. Of course the four auto parts stores I went to did not have them in stock. The day after I installed the 90 degree fitting I had to go to a NAPA parts place to get some fuel line hose for my weed eater. The first thing I saw was the grease fitting you linked to; figures, don't it? Oh well, the situation is resolved and the thought of no grease will never be an issue again.

Your better off with the 90 fitting.

Semper Fi

Not greasing these bearings seems to be a typical problem. Several have commented on it ot being done. I started doing my own maintenance at the 15K mark on my Ultra. Took over a half tube of grease before anything came out, and no old grease! Obviously, my dealer is another one that charges for this, but does not do it.

The tech I highly respect at my local dealer told me that he is reluctant to grease the head bearings unless the customer specifically requests it because there are too many who complain about the grease running down the fork as Glider described. :(

I think I would rather be annoyed with cleaning off the dripped grease than not have grease in the bearings.:s

It usually only drips once or twice after the greasing.

Consider yourself lucky if you HAVE a zerk fitting or lube access plug. Newer model Sprotsters do not come with one so you have to...eh..."improvise".:bigsmiley15:

I have an 09 sportster that has no fitting,
how would you improvise.
would have to drill & tap hole?

Neck bearings without grease...shame on you Harley-Davidson, and the dealer. Almost as bad as the swing arm bearings (some bikes), and bushings without grease. Hey it's a Harley....you get used to it after a while and realize you have to fend for yourself. This is why this forum is so important to someone who uses their bike for regular transportation. Read the forum, your bike will last longer.

Thorns

I have an 09 sportster that has no fitting,
how would you improvise.
would have to drill & tap hole?

If the neck doesn't have a fitting, most of those bikes have open tubes where they join to the neck and you would only fill the frame with grease if you tried to install a fitting and grease it. They have to be dis assembled to grease the bearings.

Back