free website stats program gps power hookup | Harley Davidson Forums

gps power hookup

chipguy1

I have an ultra classic 2005. I have seen threads here concerning power hookup for a gps, but I don't understand why the hookup cannot be plugged into the aux. jack by the radio. Can somebody please enlighten me?
TIA
Tom

I have an ultra classic 2005. I have seen threads here concerning power hookup for a gps, but I don't understand why the hookup cannot be plugged into the aux. jack by the radio. Can somebody please enlighten me?
TIA
Tom

You will need 12v to operate the gps. The aux jack on the radio is fo audio input. If your gps plays mp3s, you can plug audio from gps to the aux. jack. I use mine for that some times.

Just an FYI if you are looking to power your GPS. I spliced into the cig lighter on my 2010 FLHTK. It works great and it powers up the unit when I turn the bike on. Pretty simple to do.....

Before taking power for the gps from the bike check what the voltage requirements are for the gps unit as a lot of them are designed to use usb power which is 5 volts if it is hard wired to a 12 volt system it will fry
car chargers that plug into a lighter socket have voltage reduction built into them

Brian

If you check Radio Shack, or a truck stop electronics shop. there are now cigarette lighter/USB adapters that convert the 12vdc to the right USB output.

Just an FYI if you are looking to power your GPS. I spliced into the cig lighter on my 2010 FLHTK. It works great and it powers up the unit when I turn the bike on. Pretty simple to do.....

That's the way I have mine hooked up. Works great.

If you use your cigarette lighter outlet, swing your bars FULL lock left to make sure the plastic plug does not hit your tank. If it does, you may be able to twist it to a different angle to clear. Don't need any dents in the tank, no matter how small. :s

Back