free website stats program GPS hardwire | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS hardwire

louiez

I have read lot of the posts about the various ways to splice in my hardwire unit. Can I just connect to my battery and unplug my GPS when not in use? Or should the hardwire be attached to a switched circuit? I ride a 1993 Electraglide Classic.

I have mine wired straight to the battery with a in-line fuse. Remember, you have to keep the gps plug in the system. It reduces the voltage, without it
POOF goes your gps. I did it. :(

:bigsmiley23: thnks....have one of the hardwire units made for a motorcycle. It has a fuse inside. They recommend wiring to the fuse block. Not sure if I should add another fuse coming right off the battery.

:bigsmiley23: thnks....have one of the hardwire units made for a motorcycle. It has a fuse inside. They recommend wiring to the fuse block. Not sure if I should add another fuse coming right off the battery.

If you want to keep the GPS unit on while you stop then wiring direct to the battery is the ticket. Another option on some bikes there is a second B+ ACC plug (under the seat) that has a single red positive wire that is hot all the time. You can furnish a ground to the fender bolt and you are in business without having to ring onto the battery terminals.

As far as the fuse, if the fuse they supply is inaccesible, then it could help to put an inline fues in. The catch 22 is that if your added fuse is not less amps than their's, then their's will blow anyhow.

You can also make a battery harness from a spare Battery Tender pigtail, but do note that the POLARITY swaps because of the gender change, so you have to cutoff the ring eyelets once you mark the red minus (-), the black plus (+).

You can then plug it into the existing "business end" of the battery harness with the links properly going to the battery. Do remember that this outlet will be live all the time unless you put a switch in series if you leave your GPS or any accessory device ON and possibly run down your BATTERY.

You can also make a battery harness from a spare Battery Tender pigtail, but do note that the POLARITY swaps because of the gender change, so you have to cutoff the ring eyelets once you mark the red minus (-), the black plus (+).

You can then plug it into the existing "business end" of the battery harness with the links properly going to the battery. Do remember that this outlet will be live all the time unless you put a switch in series if you leave your GPS or any accessory device ON and possibly run down your BATTERY.

That's an excellent idea. In fact if you are using a battery tender hookup already just goto Ace Hardware and buy a 2 proble auto tail light short pigtal (with the two end plugs). Cut the un-needed plug off and wire the rest into your GPS wire, adjusting polarity at that point.

Seal it up with a heat shrink and then as soon as you disconnect your tender, simply plug said pigtail in the Battery tender harness plug (usually left on the bike anyhow).

I just spliced mine into my cig lighter inside the fairing. The GPS turns off and on when I power up the bike or shut it off. The in-line fuse on the GPS unit itself protects the unit. It's a really simple splice. Just a suggestion...

Back