free website stats program Going to Rebuild 79 Sporty | Harley Davidson Forums

Going to Rebuild 79 Sporty

diljera

Riders,

I'm rebuilding my 79 Sporty as a rigid frame custom, and I'm looking for anyone who has any tips or specific things to be aware of during this process. I am tryng to get it finished asap, so any time-saving advice in the areas of assembly and paint would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

The best advice is "keep it simple stupid" I have done this before, don't try to mix and modify parts, it takes too much time. Buy as many main parts from your frame company as possible, even if it costs a little more.If it doesn't make it go it doesn't belong on it, use as many stock parts as possible and minimise bolt sizes. Just do mild paint the first time up Black and trim colors, Red, Gold, Harley logos. Don't worry, you will tear it down and re-paint her more than once. Each time she comes down it will be faster to put her back up and new things will be done, don't think you have to do everything the first time up, just get her up and running, even if it is Krylon spray can paint, no one will know it's not powder coated as you pass them. I thinks its may be usefull for you.

HDLover

diljera,

I wish I could be of more help, but I am into restoring the old bikes to the original condition. I think the rigid frames look great but I don't think I would want to ride one. Hopefully someone can help you reach your goal.

Johalber

Riders,

I'm rebuilding my 79 Sporty as a rigid frame custom, and I'm looking for anyone who has any tips or specific things to be aware of during this process. I am tryng to get it finished asap, so any time-saving advice in the areas of assembly and paint would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Main one problem you're gonna have is its brakes, Because 79s are one of the bastard Sportsters, with unique, one and only rear brake setup, wheel spacing and caliper support is a very real concern. To be honest about it, I really don't know why you want a rigid. Unless your frame is no good. If you don't have a some mechanical engineering experience behind you, or the like to pay for such services, I would strongly suggest that you dump the 1979 and start with something either newer or older. I suggest newer.

Sopana

Thanks for all of your comments about my bike. Sopana, It's not really as bad as you think. There are some reasons I'm doing this. I like the style of a rigid. It may not be the most comfortable bike in the world, but if I want comfort I'll stay on the couch. As we know, the 79 was indeed a bastard year, and I don't really have any use for that frame setup, but the motor is a solid power plant. About the only things I'm keeping are the motor and front end. It has never given me any trouble. I have rebuilt the top-end and should get quite a few more miles before I need to mess with it again. As far as the brakes go, I'm going with fwd controls to avoid that problem. I know that this will be a challenging project, but mainly in the area of making stuff fit the frame.

Diljera

Back