free website stats program Gen 3 TFI | Harley Davidson Forums

Gen 3 TFI

I recently installed a Gen 3 TFI and Arlen ness stage 1 big sucker. The bike ran great for a couple of weeks but now seems to have issues. First unless I keep the throttle up it will die after starting and before warming up. Second after a ride of say thirty miles or so at varing speeds up to seventy when idling down the bike will sometimes backfire then die.It does pop on decel but not all the time and from no certain speed.I followed the diagram that came with the unit and did have the correct lights at the six settings. Any ideas? My bike is a 07 tour classic.Pipes are rush slipons.

I would say ,It sounds as if your running very rich .I would try readjusting the tfi after the bike is fully warmed up and giveing there tech support line a call the tfi unit it self may have devolped a issue and is not working correctly.
keith

Does your instructions cover which injector gets what color wire from the unit?

Yes Glider it does. I went out tonight and made sure that all is correct. I made sure that the connectors were snapped together. I was a bit confused on the lighting sequence. The book stated to see page 8. I made the settings that show on that page which is for a stage 1 setting. I am hoping to get to call tech support this week but work is cramping my off-time.
Thanks for your help guys!

Just to be sure,unplug the TFI and see if you still have the same symptoms.It is possible that it is unrelated.

You could dial all the pots all the way off and see if it changes the issue you are having. Leave the #4 pot all the way to the top.

You could dial all the pots all the way off and see if it changes the issue you are having. Leave the #4 pot all the way to the top.
This is part of my confusion the gen3 unit has modes that you enter into. There are no pot adjustments. There are 6 modes that you change by the plus or minus sign. I am going to try what Steve suggest's but will this cause problems with having the big sucker and pipes on?

Sorry, I forgot that unit is the ones with the lights. It would be OK just to test it out.

You could side step taking it off by disconnecting the ground wire for the unit which would make it inop.

It is going to run extremely lean,but your first problem is at warmup so that should be a telltale sign and it won't hurt the bike to run a bit too lean if not under load

Back