free website stats program Gas tank paint chipped | Harley Davidson Forums

Gas tank paint chipped

REIDMART1

I have a 2008 Deluxe: Candy Red Sunglo. Sweeeeet! However, I did the unthinkable and banged the tank with a tool and lost a chip of paint, the size of a dime. I almost threw up. I'm still sick about it. Can a paint and body shop do a pretty good job at restoration or should I swap the tank out?

I feel your pain. I scratched my rear fender when I removed my seat. Need I say I was in a hurry when I caused the scratch?:(

Wow -- that's a big chip! 'Course, I get chips all the time: rocks, pebbles, etc. hitting various places on the bike, and dinging the paint all over the place.

I always buy all of the touchup paints for my bikes, and get myself a good set of detail brushes. I fill in the chip with a teeny bit of body filler - just enough to build up the ding so it's mostly level with the rest of the surface - and then paint out the chip myself.

Good heavens, man! It's a motor vehicle... it's gonna get its paint chipped...

I believe the sun glow colors are all 3 stage.They cant easily be touched up because of this.A body shop can fix you up, prefferably a ppg shop.PPG makes the Harley paint so they have the codes.However, Ive found there is 1 unique tint that is in the candy color that may need to be purchased by the shop that is very pricey.
Check with a local shop, if you have decals order them through Harley right away.

My local HD tech has repaired a few deep scratches for me. I'd ask them before a regular body shop. I'm sure many a new bike has scratches and dings repaired by these guys.

You can order touch up paint from HD. Basically, the tech painted in the color, let it dry throughly, then filled the remainder with clear-coat, a little at a time till level or a little higher than the surrounding paint. Then he lightly sanded it smooth and then buffed it to a high sheen. I can't tell where it was repaired.
:USA

My softail went through the shed floor as i was trying to back it out of the shed bike went over and chipped the paint on the door jam
Character and i live with it its a working bike
re enforced shed floor with 1.25" marine ply wont happen again

Brian

Has anyone used touch up on the denim paints, specifically the Pewter Denim? I just picked up my Night Train yesterday and there are a few dings / paint chip on the tank. The bike came with all new tins + tank with just primer on them, but I would rather just do a touch up job for now. Anybody know how to order HD paint? I would like to do the new tins in Black Denim...

Has anyone used touch up on the denim paints, specifically the Pewter Denim? I just picked up my Night Train yesterday and there are a few dings / paint chip on the tank. The bike came with all new tins + tank with just primer on them, but I would rather just do a touch up job for now. Anybody know how to order HD paint? I would like to do the new tins in Black Denim...

Your dealer can sell you a half ounce touch up bottle fairly cheeply.Some custom colors may not be available.You can also buy the HD paint from a dealer however they only sell quarts and are pricey.If youre going to paint the entire bike I would recomend a ppg body shop supplier.They have the codes and it will be considerably cheeper.

Reminds me of a story my dad told me years ago. Whenever this one friend would buy a new bike he would ride it home and give it a small dent with a ball peen hammer.

He said he did that cause he couldn't stand worrying about putting the first dent in it.

Back